Home from Afghanistan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsayers

Reaction score
Well I made it home from Afghanistan. :ban:

Day one back at home included a trip to my LHBS to pick up the supplies that I ordered before I even left Kabul. Just finished my pitching my first starter about 5 hours ago and I already see activity. Can't wait until Sunday when I will brew my very first homebrew!

Thanks for all of the advice, suggestions, and support over the last couple months as I began to read and learn about my new hobby. I'll capture some pics of brew day to share. Wish me luck!

JB

Good luck and welcome back!!! And i hope everyone comes home soon also!!! Oh and welcome to your new hobby/obsession. It one of the most rewarding hobbies i can think of.

Hey bud welcome back But dont say location. Never know who is listening. I know you didnt say coordinates or anything but ya know....less people know the better. Keeps eveeybody safe. What ya waiting for brew it up! :)

Welcome home. What are you brewing??
A cheers too you for your good service. Thank you !

Day one back at home included a trip to my LHBS to pick up the supplies that I ordered before I even left Kabul. Just finished my pitching my first starter about 5 hours ago and I already see activity. Can't wait until Sunday when I will brew my very first homebrew!

Thanks for all of the advice, suggestions, and support over the last couple months as I began to read and learn about my new hobby. I'll capture some pics of brew day to share. Wish me luck!

JB

Good luck with the brew, man. Thanks for all you do. My buddy's son is due home in about six weeks and we are planning a welcome home brew session when he arrives. :mug:

That first beer is going to taste even better because of the extended wait.

Welcome home and thank you!

JB

Welcome back home, and thank you for your service! Good luck to you in your new hobby!

Thanks everybody! To address a couple questions/statements, I am brewing an oatmeal stout using Maris Otter and WLP004 for my very first brew. I'll post the recipe when I am at my computer (using the android app to post this.)

It's ok to say I was in Kabul. That is not a violation of security measures. We left a few weeks ago to start the trek back home. We only frown on posting locations when specific dates or timelines are mentioned that compromise operations. Good looking out, though.

Checked on my starter this morning and gave it a nice swirl. Foamed up beautifully and smelled llike delicious bread. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Welcome home man. Soon I'll be back home and brewing again myself. I've spent the last year at Bagram. Where were you?

I just noticed you're from ohio. 37th?

Here is the WLP004 yeast starter after about 15 hours. Looks and smells great!

JB

Yeast Starter.jpg

Here is the recipe. It is somebody else's with the replacement of American 2 Row with Maris Otter.

Cheers,
JB

Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal Est Mash Efficiency 82.8 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 78.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.9 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.9 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.4 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 32.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 32.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 25.2 SRM

Looks solid! First brew and your jumping into all grain!?

I figure if ancient civilizations had the capability I should be able to manage it. Plus, I am a "get in there and do it" type of guy and I have been reading about brewing and taking in all the advice on the boards here for a few months now. I know it isn't "doing" but I feel like I have a very good working knowledge of the process.

Also, I have a molecular bio degree and to be honest, this process is like much of the lab work I have done in the past - up to and including keeping a journal in case you have an accidental breakthrough, lol. Looking forward to getting in there and giving it a go. I feel like a picked a decently straight forward recipe and made only a small change to it so it should be OK.

I can't stop myself from checking in on my starter every 10 minutes. I feel like a proud parent every time I stir it.

JB

Glad to see you came back safe. My nephew is a weapons trainer,missle launchers,etc. He goes back to A'stan frequently to do his job. I won't mention his name here,but he worries me every time he ships out. He's kinda like "Gunny" in the movie Shooter in my estimation. Sometimes I wonder why this country does things they make us think only other countries do. But we do have to defend freedom wherever folks that desire it need help getting it. The reason he worries me is that a buddy of mine went back to 'nam a 2nd time & didn't make it back. His name was Charles Brannon,I named him the gentle giant for his million dollar personality. Glad you're ok.

Thanks for your service. Wish I was in Ohio so I could buy you a cold one. Enjoy your brew, I hope it turns out great.

JB

Welcome back and thanks for your service!! :mug:

Thanks for your service soldier! I hope you enjoy your new hobby. It sounds like you are well equipped to handle your first AG brew, so just be patient and your first homebrew will be worth the wait!

Oooooo Rahhh!!

Welcome home soldier and thank you! RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back