2 step batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I'm putting a recipe together for tomorrow and I want to try a batch sparge. I've always done fly...wondering why beer smith has a two step batch sparge? It tells me to do 0.78 and 4.08. Does this mean to drain all of wort, add 0.78 gallons, drain, add 4.08 gallons, drain?

cheers :mug:

I usually do a mashout with that .78 gals. Then the 4.08 would be your sparge.

I usually do a mashout with that .78 gals. Then the 4.08 would be your sparge.

I've always interpreted it that way because it would not make much sense to sparge with a .78 batch, but I think the instruction sheet could be more clear.

Sparging with equal size batches and minimal size/batch tends toward fly sparging efficiency. But efficiency gains diminish beyond about 2 batches.

Assuming your mash tun has space and your equipment profile is setup, if you click on the little button next to mash profile and click drain mashtun after each step, it gives an accurate 2 step batch sparge. Took me awhile to figure it out. The intuitive way is just use your strike water, then add these two together as your second step.

I would think that a mash-out addition would be hotter than 168, I guess that's why I was confused by the 0.78 addition. Thanks for all the input. cheers

Latest posts

Back