1 gallon mini carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiegoProf

Reaction score
Anyone have a good source for one gallon glass jugs that can be used as mini carboys to split a 5 gallon batch? www.specialtybottle.com has a pretty cheap unit price, but shipping is a killer. Ideally, I could find someplace local (I live in San Diego), but I can't think of where to look. I thought about buying some 1 gallon jugs of cheap wine, but that'll still run about $9/carboy. Any ideas on how to do better than that?

You can still find apple juice in gallon jugs. Got five of them last fall. Try a "health food" store.

Or buy the cheap wine & make wassail for the holidays.

I've seen 'organic' milk in returnable gallon jugs---- but I'm in Wisconsin where the by-products of cows come in about every possible combination and presentation.

//tangent
I once tried to find real cheese in a resturant near Ft McClellan, Alabama and discovered that 'cheese' is does not mean the same thing everywhere. For the record: hydrogenated oils mixed with salt and orange food coloring is not 'cheese'-- it is 'cheese food', which is to say 'simulated cheese' and one should never grate 'cheese food' and label it as 'cheese' on a salad bar.
//end tangent

Go to a antique mall and look for old 1 gallon milk jugs. I use them for my mead and they work great. If you look around, you should be able to find them for $5-$10 each.

my lhbs sells them for 6 bucks, so lucky me i guess ;) . I've got 4 of them to use for experimental/small batches of beer and for mead. They work very well, and making one gallon is a lot easier than making five, but of course you get far less final product for your work.

kornkob said:
//tangent
I once tried to find real cheese in a resturant near Ft McClellan, Alabama and discovered that 'cheese' is does not mean the same thing everywhere. For the record: hydrogenated oils mixed with salt and orange food coloring is not 'cheese'-- it is 'cheese food', which is to say 'simulated cheese' and one should never grate 'cheese food' and label it as 'cheese' on a salad bar.
//end tangent

Well no ****. Your from the dairy capitol of the US, and in a "reasturaunt" no less. What else would you expect?

Wow I shouldn't read posts in the mornings.

I do love Wisconsin cheddar though.

Here is a place where you can buy multiples. It looks like less than $5 each for 6.
http://www.yankeecontainers.com/GlassJugs/
(Click on View Details)
Hmmmm.... on second thought on orders below $100 they charge a $25 processing fee. Buy a lot of them I guess. Looks like shipping might cost a cheesehead about $20 or so.

i bought a gallon of organic apple juice at the hippie food store for 10 bucks.. a little steep.. but you could just go ahead and get 4 or 5 gallons of it and make a cider

ws

kornkob said:
//tangent
//end tangent

<Way Off Topic>
It used to be that all non-dairy butters were NOT to be colored yellow but pink (that's old school).

I have friends that won't eat any cheese that is white even after I tell them that all cheese is white and it is only colored to match the style.

I also thought there was some law about labeling compressed pollack (the hot dog of the sea) Krab and not Crab. Way too many restaurants get away with that, law or not.
</Way Off Topic>

I hit the recycling dumpster in my neighborhood for bottles and jugs all the time. Bars throw out an amazing number of liquor, wine and mixer bottles. I pick up 2-3 free jugs a month.

A buddy of mine is a bartender. I just asked him to keep 750 champagne bottles for me. Should take a couple weeks to get the 100 I want. I think he may also save some 12 oz re-useables but I'd never ask since they pay a deposit on those.

There is a simple way you can get them for FREE. Go to the nearest apartment complex and look in the glass recycling containers. In the last week I've picked up four (matching) four-Liter (slightly more than a gallon) glass jugs and five 1.5 L glass jugs. It only takes a few minutes to survey an entire apartment complex's recycling. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Back