Nothern brewer Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks8686

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be brewing this kit this weekend. Any advice, this is only my second brew. I ordered the wyeast any recommendation on fermenting temps.

I tried that kit twice and was not impressed. I hope yours turns out better. I fermented in the mid to low 60(s)*F.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can mess up a lot with this kit, and it will still be good. This was one of my beginning brews, and it was the first one that everyone loved. Ferment at around 66°, and wait around 3-4 weeks to bottle. If you were planning to use a secondary, skip it. It's not necessary.

Make a yeast starter if you have the equipment, although it will still turn out ok if you don't... for this beer. Remember to crush the pack a few hours before brewing. Let it sit at room temp.

Welcome to the beer obsession! Poke around this website, and read everything you can. There are tons of great info and techniques that will shorten your learning curve immensely.

Check the DIY section too. Save money on equipment.

I did that one as my first kit. I let the temperature get a little too warm on the first day. I cooled it and did an extra week in primary and an extra week in secondary. It ended up quite good. I don't know how much the error changed it but it did not last too long.

When using liquid yeast it is best to make a starter and pitch the proper number of yeast cells for a given gravity and beer style.

Well I brewed Saturday afternoon. I rigged up a half ass swamp cooler and the temp seems to holding around 65 to 67. Today is the first time seeing any action in the airlock a little bubbling, but not much.

This was actually my first brew also. Looks like many do this as a first brew. Mine turned out great. I think k1ngl1ves is right that a lot could go wrong and it still turns out. I added a little bit of honey toward the end of fermentation and gave it a definite caramel flavor. I think your swamp cooler is doing the job well. :mug:

Latest posts

Back