big color change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
i had my beer fermenting for over 2 weeks, and decided it was time to go to a secondary for a few days gravity was the same. its been 2 days and the color has changed from a brownish orangeish to a dark blackish color in the secondary. its an oktoberfest ale, and there could be a possibility i burnt the wart, would it do this? did i screw up somewhere. :confused:

Rico6115 said:
i had my beer fermenting for over 2 weeks, and decided it was time to go to a secondary for a few days gravity was the same. its been 2 days and the color has changed from a brownish orangeish to a dark blackish color in the secondary. its an oktoberfest ale, and there could be a possibility i burnt the wart, would it do this? did i screw up somewhere. :confused:

ALL beers get darker in secondary, it's an optic illusion. As it clears sediment falls out of the beer giving light less to reflect off of. Because of the amount of colored liquid it appears black. When you siphon out you'll see the true color...

BTW, if you burned the wort it would be immediately dark, not after fermentation.

Latest posts

Back