Heat Stick design alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I want to build a 110v heatstick. However the design @ cedar creek uses a chrome plated pipe. I would like anyone to chime in with alternatives if they have built any. Crome makes me nervous, once it starts flaking I don't want shiny beer.

I want to build a 110v heatstick. However the design @ cedar creek uses a chrome plated pipe. I would like anyone to chime in with alternatives if they have built any. Crome makes me nervous, once it starts flaking I don't want shiny beer.

I'm pretty sure all those chrome pieces he used in that design are available in copper, no?

I'm pretty sure all those chrome pieces he used in that design are available in copper, no?

Not sure about up north, but down here the price of copper is EXTREMELY expensive. Not to mention, finding a copper pipe that large of a size is near impossible these days as everyone uses chrome or a PVC related material.

I wouldn't stress too much over the use of Chrome, but I would find an alternative to the zinc plated coupling nut.

I'd prefer to go stainless, copper will work. I don't think I can get past the fact that chrome is for bumpers and auto trim. Not for brewery hardware.

You could always buy stainless fittings, although they would be on the expensive side. On the plus side, you could probably skip a lot of the epoxy steps.

I would guess the chrome would be as durable a finish as any, although it can be somewhat porous. If only there was an easy way to remove the chrome, you'd end up with a brass pipe.

Yea it's the drop, chip, peel, flake, factor of chrome that concerns me. You never find a chore finish on something that's designed to be handled and used a lot.

Not a fan of heat sticks. Even a 110v element has a ton of current running through it. It's probably just me but I don't like grabbing hold of something with that much juice. If you are using it in one vessel all the time just mount it in the vessel and inch or so from the bottom with a 1" lock nut and o-ring from bargainfittings.

I am looking to use it in the boil to speed it up. I also would like to have it around to adjust mash temp if need be. so permanent mounting isn't an option.

My current setup doesn't allow for an all electric system. My location doesn't have the necessary service to the house and I am not paying for an electrician to run new services on a house with no equity. Gotta love the economy.

Search "heat stick of doom" or "tri heatstick" for a few examples using only ss or copper materials. The sanitary fittings are also nice because they give peace of mind that your heatstick is watertight

I am looking to use it in the boil to speed it up. I also would like to have it around to adjust mash temp if need be. so permanent mounting isn't an option.

My current setup doesn't allow for an all electric system. My location doesn't have the necessary service to the house and I am not paying for an electrician to run new services on a house with no equity. Gotta love the economy.

I'll agree w/ that!

If I'm not mistaken, most of the chrome plated drain extensions that are used for this project are brass. Mine is. It has also started to flake like you are worried about. Since the piece is only 6/7 bucks, I'm just going to take a fine wire wheel to it. Should take all of two minutes to get her all fixed up. Should look cool to. I'll post the results.

Back