Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sigmonjp

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew a wild(or lambic? no sure on the difference exactly) beer using Roeselare Ale blend yeast(Wyeast 3763). I guess my question is if the alcohol tolerance is 11% then will that increase the alcohol content with an average OG?

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to get at. Roeselare blend is more attenuative than a standard Saccharomyces, so given the same OG it will produce a beer with a lower FG and more alcohol. It can be hard to make a really strong sour beer, is that what you are trying to do?

Lambic is just a particular type of sour/wild beer that is pale, moderate gravity, and usually just contains pils malt and unmalted wheat. Traditionally it is spontaneously fermented and left in the primary fermenter for up to a few years.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Yeast can only produce alcohol so long as it has materials to do so - specifically, sugar. They will stop producing alcohol when they run out of sugar, or if the alcohol level gets so high it becomes poisonous to them. The alcohol tolerance tells you roughly when that happens.

Unless you make a beer with a pretty high OG, you won't get to 11%. It would take lowering the gravity by about 1.082 to get there. So for beer, if you get great attenuation, you would need a OG of somewhere around 1.090 at least for alcohol tolerance to start coming into play.

Wild beers can attenuate more than monoculture strains - that is, they can reach a lower FG (though it can take quite a while to get all the way down). So I suppose you might get a slightly higher ABV if you use the Roeselare blend than if you use a monoculture.

Thanks for the help. I suppose what I was more confused about was what the alcohol tolerance represented. So if I understand correctly, I don't need to worry about the alcohol tolerance since I am planning on having a high but not extremely high (around 1.070).

Yeah, alcohol tolerance is just the point at which alcohol becomes toxic to the yeast. It's the approximate maximum amount of alcohol you can get from the strain. You only need to worry about it if you're making something very strong.

Back