Patriot Homebrew Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"By entering the Contest, grants [sic] The Boston Beer Company and its agencies the right to use your name, likeness, picture, signature, voice, audio and video recordings and biographical information in any manner or media whatsoever (whether now known or hereafter devised) anywhere in the world in perpetuity for the purpose of advertising and trade, without further compensation, unless prohibited by law."

I wonder if they need blood and sperm samples as well.

If it is only open to new englanders, i'd guesstimate in the 500- 700's? Would anyone think more?

Maybe its just me, but I don't like the idea of someone else more or less owning something that I put so much time, effort, and care into.

The only thing I can see happening:

1. Person X makes the most incredible beer known to man.
2. Submits it to competition.
3. Wins said competition.
4. Beer gets brewed by Boston Beer Company.
5. Beer is a hit - B.B.C. takes the credit.
6. B.B.C. ends up brewing a "variant" of Person X's beer and makes millions.
7. Person X is told to "eff off" by B.B.C. since they aren't brewing their EXACT recipe.

Following steps may or may not occur

8. Person X attends tasting at B.B.C. and promptly takes hostages.
9. SWAT teams are called and Person X gets gunned down in a hail of gunfire, curses the families of all involved.
10. Employees of B.B.C. begin disappearing under suspicious circumstances.
11. B.B.C. cannot attract new employees due to the "Person X Curse'.
12. B.B.C. goes out of business and the Sam Adams brand dies with it.
13. I cry a little 'cause I like the Boston Lager.
14. Etc.

Actually the rights to the recipie are not given up by entering. All you give them is the right to use you for promotional material with out having to pay you.

The winner gets $5000 for non exclusive right to the recipie. Meaning they can do what ever they want with it but so can you.

Really its unlikely bbc will make back their 5 grand off the winners beer since it only intended to be a limited releas 6 pack (2 of public winner 2 of internal winner and 2 of their brew masters winner). But they are big supporters of home brewing.

Not sure why it is new england only though. Probably just logistics for promotions and such.

This sounds good to me, particularly because I'm in CT and I'm not shipping beer across the continent in hot, bumpy UPS trucks. Although we should learn the lesson from Tasty McDole...no IPAs!

mike

Back