hopbursted citra hybrid ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmybeer

Reaction score
So here's the story: I am going to a music festival at the end of July and wanted to make a lightish drinkable yet hoppy beer that I can bottle in two liters and bring into the campground. Laying around I have some 2-Row, Cirta and some San Francisco Lager Yeast from a Cali Common that turned out brilliantly.
That in mind this is what I came up with. I'm kinda shooting for a hybrid APA.

4 lbs 12.0 oz Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 92.7 %
4.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.9 %
2.0 oz Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.4 %
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 19.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 14.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 8.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 41.6 IBUs
Est Color: 15.5 SRM

The malt bill is set because I've already mixed and ground the grains but it started off as a Citra SMaSH but since I can never seem to stick to that idea I added some honey malt and while I was at it tossed in the MW for color. I was mostly wondering about the hop schedule. I've never tried doing a beer with all the hops at the end and I've never tried Citra either so I figured I'd see what all the rage was about.

What do you all think about this? I'll be making it either tonight or tomorrow.

I did something similiar with Citra hops in a blonde ale. I basically just bittered the beer at 15 IBU's. Then added 2oz of Citra @ 15 & flameout. The hops really came there as it was a very basic grain bill.

That's good to hear that it worked out well but I'm wondering what people think about no traditional bittering addition. I want to keep it citra only to really get a taste for it and it's only a 2.5 gallon batch so doing a 60 minute bittering addition would really launch my IBU's using Citra.

That's good to hear that it worked out well but I'm wondering what people think about no traditional bittering addition. I want to keep it citra only to really get a taste for it and it's only a 2.5 gallon batch so doing a 60 minute bittering addition would really launch my IBU's using Citra.

I'm sure you will be fine. I like I said I just bittered @60 minutes to about 15 IBU's. I don't think it matters when the alpha acids are released so you should be fine but only doing later additions.

i did an all calypso hop hybrid apa that's delicious
i did use a small amount as fwh, but a good couple of ounces late and dryhopped
killer hop flavour and aroma, but only 36ibu so it's nice and drinkable

I make an all Citra APA at about 40 IBUs. It tastes kinda like juice...certainly not like it has 40 IBUs! I think you'll like the result.

strambo said:
I make an all Citra APA at about 40 IBUs. It tastes kinda like juice...certainly not like it has 40 IBUs! I think you'll like the result.

I read juice as "Joose"

image-3759021931.jpg

The last time I used hop bursting I used all citra and can't wait to taste it. Only difference in the hop schedule is I used first wort hops and used an ounce @ 2 minutes.
Should be a solid festival brew. Is this for 10K lakes?

Sound Town Music Fest (I know, dumbest name ever right). It's in sumerset WI and has Jane's Addiction, Weezer, Girl Talk and a host of other bands. I wish it was for 10K though but they stopped putting that festival on a few years ago. It will always be my favorite...

Anyways, I've wanted to try bottling like this for fun and thought this would be a nice campsite beer to break up the crappy beer.

I want to live in a house made of citra hops. They smell so good! Why have I never had these before.

And because I personally like reading updates on recipes here is mine: We just killed the three 2-liter bottles of this beer and I'd say it turned out pretty nice for a camping trip beer.

Overall I though the honey malt addition added a bit of sweetness which really did compliment the citrousy notes of the hops. The beer was clean, crisp and went down super easy. The 2-liter bottling was easy-peesy and I had no real problems since a full campsite drank it easily before the beer had a chance to go flat. If I had to do it again I would go with a more traditional bittering addition and maybe one additional flavor hop before pounding on the Citra for aroma. Also, the Midnight Wheat I had laying around from a free sample made it way darker than both I and Beersmith had anticipated. It was kind of an awkward brownish color but drinking out of keg cups no one seemed to notice or care other than me. On the plus side though, bottling this color in a Rootbeer bottle made it look like we really were drinking rootbeer at the beach and the lifeguard had nothing to say about that.

I wrote a bit more in detail about it in my blog if anyone is interested in my shameless self-promotion.

Back