Fruit Beer Qui-Whe Ale (Quince Wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gecus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP-001
Yeast Starter
1 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
A light beer with crushed pineapple notes, and a chewy texture from the oats. Cloudy
I can't find any posts on the internet using fresh quinces, so I'm claiming this one to be the first ever. This one is quick and simple to brew, and you'll be drinking it 2-3 weeks after brew day.

Wash the hair off the quinces with boiling water and a scrubbie. Finely dice them during the mash and the boil.

7lbs 2-Row American Pale
1 lb White Wheat
1 lb flaked oats
6 lbs Diced Quinces (add at flameout)

1/2 oz Norther Brewer pellets (30 min boil)
1 oz Simcoe Pellets (at flameout)
1 oz Centennial (whole) at flameout

California Ale (WLP-001)

I mashed the wheat, oats, and 2 lbs of the barley on my stovetop at 122 for 1/2 hour. Then add this to the rest of the grains and do a single infusion mash at 152 deg for 1 hour. Drain and boil wort for 1 hour, adding hops as noted above. Add the diced quinces and finishing hops at flameout and stir while chilling wort. Drain into primary leaving hops and fruit behind
Ferment for 1 week, and then bottle directly without adding priming sugar when the fermentation has slowed. Allow to bottle carbonate for 1-2 weeks and enjoy.
This beer is one of the more unusual ales I've brewed- but it's very good!. It's a cloudy white color, with a chewy texture from the oats. It's very light on the alcohol at 4.2%. The simcoe and the centennial finish hops accentuate the pineapple/pear flavor of the quinces. I think the recipe could easily be used for other fruits like rasberry, pears, maybe even kiwis??

Hi,
Im wondering how did this beer turn out? I'm planing to make a Witt beer with Quinces and I have two questions:
1- did you peal the quinces before adding them, and did they change color?
2- would you use Belgian Witt yeast? or do you think WLP001 is a better yeast for this beer?

Thanks

I did scrub the fuzz off the quinces, (use a toothbrush or similar) but I think a lot of the flavor comes from the peel. They did change color a little- they got a little bit pink.

Be sure to use fresh fragrant quinces. If they don't smell strongly then they'll only give you a little bit of apple flavor. I've read that quince won't ripen if picked too early

I think the belgian yeast would pair with it well. I stick with 001 for all my beers, and don't like the flavor of belgians- but if you like the wit flavor you should like this one.

I brewed a variation of this recipe a couple weeks ago again, I used dried hibiscus flowers in the secondary. I haven't bottled yet, but it's now got a pink-grey color and is tart like a fresh apple. This batch is definitely going to be called "pink elephant"

I just split a 6G batch of IPA and added quince to one half. I racked 3 gallons onto 4.5 pounds of diced, skinned and pitted quince, which I had in the freezer for the past month or so (I bought the quince fresh from a local farm). I'm not sure if it's going to work but ever since I had quince jam a few years ago while drinking a hoppy IPA I've always wanted to try adding quince to a hoppy home brew. My grain bill was all pilsner malt and I went heavy on the centennial, citra, and simcoe hops for flavoring. I'll dry hop with centennial and citra after the beer sits on the quince for a week. Again, it might not work but it's a fun experiment with a fruit that isn't used much with brewing. Do you think it's worth adding some pectin enzyme? I'm guessing that it'll still be hazy regardless so maybe it's not worth the bother. Should I dry hop now while the fruit is in the better bottle?

Back