Bavarian Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
I ended up doing a brewing session after work and everything that could go wrong, did. Ran out of propane, couldn't get the mash temp up from the protein rest. and a bunch of other things.

All in all I hit my OG (missed it by 1 point)

I used 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen yeast I pitched at 70 degress and it's fermenting vigorously at 72 degrees.

What can I expect as far as flavor profile?

this is my first all grain hefe.

I wonder if I should have put it in the basement where temps hold at 58-60

I think you pitched too warm. And are fermenting too warm but it's too late for that. You'll just end up with a lot of bubble gum and banana flavors. Maybe some fussels.

I like to pitch at 60, ferment at 66. I get plenty of banana but its balanced.

Wish I would have known that:drunk:

I't's ok though I can always make another, and another...

So the basement probably would have been a better environment and bring it down to 60 for the pitch.

I need to find a way to control ferm temps

I would agree that you pitched a little warm but I wouldn't drop to 58 F. I believe the temp range for 3068 is between 65 and 75, you can double check on the wyeast web site. I would try and hold to the lower end of the range but if you are going to have a brew with a little excessive ester the heff isn't that bad a choice.

I think you pitched too warm. And are fermenting too warm but it's too late for that. You'll just end up with a lot of bubble gum and banana flavors. Maybe some fussels.

I like to pitch at 60, ferment at 66. I get plenty of banana but its balanced.

Yeah Just got home I got an explosion of banana / bubble gum

definitely too warm!

I would agree that you pitched a little warm but I wouldn't drop to 58 F. I believe the temp range for 3068 is between 65 and 75, you can double check on the wyeast web site. I would try and hold to the lower end of the range but if you are going to have a brew with a little excessive ester the heff isn't that bad a choice.

Yeah but 58 is the temp of the room it will go to like 65 - 66 when it's fermenting no?

Itll fade. The aroma from the fermentor is usually stronger than the beer. Itll even fade in the bottle a little too.

Back