what do you use to check your wort temp before pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
what type of temp gauge do you use to check the temp of your wort before pitching, and do you also check the temp of your yeast?

Just curious to see what everyone uses for temp monitoring.

I have been using my tru temp digital.

I use my mash thermo once it is cleaned and sanatized. I don't bother to check the yeast temps as usually it is way colder than the wort it goes into. I just climatize it to the wort by adding little portions of wort to it every 3 minutes or so. lager yeast, I just pitch cold and let the wort warm it up.

I have a digital and a bi-metal that I use when heating hot water for my mash and lauter. Both then get moved to the bew kettle and are in the wort through boiling and chilling. As they were there for the boil, they are about as sanitized as they are going to get.

I have a dial therm that clips onto the brewpot and I leave it on during the boil. I calibrate it each time I brew with a very exspensive hand held therm I have. When it is at temp I tranfer to fermenter bucket (which has another dial therm on it).

cant go by brew pot therm.because temp varies in pot .it might say 78 deg.but top of pot is 100. I stick a sterilized thermometer right through my transfer hose (doesnt leak)and moniter temp. that way.

I just slap a fermometer on the outside of the kettle after it stops feeling warm to the touch - the same one I use on the starter flask. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Just use the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer kit. Dial reads close enough for government work.

I do use a digital for my strike water temps, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use the floating thermometer that came with my kit. I make sure I stir and move it up and down to get a good idea of the overall temp...

I use a plate chiller so measuring the temp. in the boil pot does me no good. What I do is midway through my chill I take my sample for my OG. At this time I also check the temperature of this sample to give me a pretty good idea of what the temp. is in the carboy. It also allows me to do any temperature correction of the OG if needed.

Does this work well? Is it very commonly used? This sounds perfect for brewing since you wouldn't have to worry about contamination from a thermometer probe.

It works fine as long as you aren't measuring anything over 120 (eg it is useless for mash temp because it measures the vapor temp rather than the liquid temp!).

I have this one and love it.

thrumometer.jpg

Back