Sanitizing odd shaped equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman_01

Reaction score
Wanting to know what everyone does to sanitize auto-siphon or wine thief for example?

To santize my auto-siphon, I pump it through a few times with water/pbw mixture to wash it, then pump it a few times through with starsan. Then, I hang it up so that no water sits in it and it dries through. Do not use too hot of water on the auto-siphon, it will bend the crap out of the platic and you will have to buy a new one....I have done it.

Clean by pumping Oxyclean solution through.
Sanitize by pumping Starsan solution through.

Wine Thief or baster soak in Oxyclean then soak in Starsan.

Clean by pumping Oxyclean solution through.
Sanitize by pumping Starsan solution through.

Wine Thief or baster soak in Oxyclean then soak in Starsan.

And yes, I have used Oxyclean Free (the green lid), same as PBW as far as I am concerned.

I put my auto-siphon in picture of StarSan and pump it with the return going back in the picture just do that for 30 seconds. The instrutions say 2 minutes because that is the FDA standard is two minutes and StarSan has to put that in their instructions but the maker of StarSan says 30 seconds is sufficient.

I guess I do similar, just looking for diff ways. I don't have anything to soak it in cause of length. I want to find something long and shallow so I can submerge on its side, say with only one gallon of water or less

deepcdan99 said:
Realy no need to soak it if u wash/sanitize it right away.

True. I guess I was referring to soak, as in for my iodine sanitizer. Think it says it needs 2 minutes

deepcdan99 said:
Any reason you don't use starsan? No rinse, and no need to soak.

No lol guess I will be switching after this bottle is gone!

Keep it out of the light, a bucket of starsan water mixture will hold up for a month or more from what I am told. And don't fear the foam.

I've only done 2 brews so far, but for each one I make a 5 gal bucket of star san.

I'll siphon a bit through the auto siphon/tubing, then let it all soak in the sanitizer with my other stuff (hydrometer, thermometer, airlock etc.) while
I have a beer.

Take it out and let it dry (while I have a couple more beerz).

When it's all sufficiently dried I use 'em.

I also clean/sanitize everything right after using.

I've only done 2 brews so far, but for each one I make a 5 gal bucket of star san.

I'll siphon a bit through the auto siphon/tubing, then let it all soak in the sanitizer with my other stuff (hydrometer, thermometer, airlock etc.) while
I have a beer.

That sure is a lot of waste. Use distilled water and the starsan mix will last a LOOOOOONG time.

Personally I store mine (1 gallon prepared) in a 3 gallon bakery bucket. I use a 2oz syringe to wash/flush equipment.

Will using distilled water extend the life using iodine based sani as well?

bad67z said:
I use this trick too, it works great. I believe I stole it from Alton Brown.

Think I'm making a trip to my local hardware store this weekend forsure

Will using distilled water extend the life using iodine based sani as well?

no. The life of the iodine based is rather short, on the scale of a couple of hours. Iodine is a gas and easily leaves solution.

cockybitz said:
no. The life of the iodine based is rather short, on the scale of a couple of hours. Iodine is a gas and easily leaves solution.

Thanks good to know

:off: And just for the sake of argument, and to be a bit of a nerd, Iodine is a solid at room temperature, only a liguid when diluted into another solution.:cross: But still doesn't preservie its sanatizing characteristics very long, not like starsan anyway.

It came with my kit. Just bought a jug of SS today! Ready to use it tomorrow as I'm racking amber Bock to secondary to lager!

It came with my kit. Just bought a jug of SS today! Ready to use it tomorrow as I'm racking amber Bock to secondary to lager!

Works great, you may find yourself wanting to rinse off the foam, don't do it, defeats the purpose, and buy a cheap spray bottle if u havent already, I always keep one filled up. Spray it on everything as I brew. I usually only mix 2-2 1/2 gallons of it up at a time, a bucket with a lid and out of the light will last a month or longer.

deepcdan99 said:
Works great, you may find yourself wanting to rinse off the foam, don't do it, defeats the purpose, and buy a cheap spray bottle if u havent already, I always keep one filled up. Spray it on everything as I brew. I usually only mix 2-2 1/2 gallons of it up at a time, a bucket with a lid and out of the light will last a month or longer.

Thanks. Ya got one actually lol. I got 1 gal of distilled mixed already. 6mL per gal jug. I used a syringe. I tend to be a tad anal but figured its ok when it comes to my beer!

:off: And just for the sake of argument, and to be a bit of a nerd, Iodine is a solid at room temperature, only a liguid when diluted into another solution.:cross: But still doesn't preservie its sanatizing characteristics very long, not like starsan anyway.

Water is also a liquid at room temperature, but you would be entirely incorrect to think it did not easily convert to and remain in gas state. Iodine is used as the textbook example of sublimation, and for good reason.

That sure is a lot of waste. Use distilled water and the starsan mix will last a LOOOOOONG time.

Personally I store mine (1 gallon prepared) in a 3 gallon bakery bucket. I use a 2oz syringe to wash/flush equipment.

Not sure I'm wasting... unless I'm really out of it!

I bought a 32oz thingy of starsan for about $16.

I use one ounce to make a five gallon bucket
of sanitizer (per instructions). That's lasted me
for 2 batches.

No infections so far... I'm on my third. I guess I don't
consider basically spending 53 cents (from my calculations)
per brew as a waste..

I have a beer.

Clean after using. Sanitize before using.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my auto-siphon in picture of StarSan and pump it with the return going back in the picture just do that for 30 seconds. The instrutions say 2 minutes because that is the FDA standard is two minutes and StarSan has to put that in their instructions but the maker of StarSan says 30 seconds is sufficient.

I know StarSan is great, but I don't think just a picture of it will sanitize anything.:p

Back