Foam Control/Blowoff Need Help Fast!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as adding a foam controller, I've never used them.

I would think your biggest problem at this point is finding a way to contain the mess. :)

If your airlock isn't clogged, I would say, let it work itself out. If it is clogged, then you run the risk of it really blowing it's top and having to contend with the aftermath. Maybe find a way to let the fermentation happen. Assuming you're using a bucket, put it in the sink and loosen a side of the lid?

Whatever you do, you've gotta get video of it... :)

Remove bung/stopper/airlock. Replace with loose, sanitized tinfoil. Lay down MANY towels under the fermenter.

In a day or two when it calms down, replace the airlock if you want. You don't have to, but if you do, make sure it's been cleaned and sanitized.

That's what I'd do, assuming I didn't have a blow-off tube. Lesson learned though, the first few days can get pretty crazy. Blow-off tube FTW. :mug:

I usually add a few drops of fermcap to my fermenter, just in cast. But I always add it when I transfer and pitch my yeast, not after it's going crazy. Can't see it hurting it though. Take off the airlock, send a couple drops down the bunghole (giggity) and then put your washed and refilled airlock back on.

Of course, a blowoff tube is an even better idea, but go ahead and give the fermcap a try.

Back