How easy is it to switch kegs in kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of moving to kegging and a kegerator and space is my prime limiting factor (especially chilled space). I want to get a kegerator for the kitchen, but have several concerns...

Can I use the kegerator as a CO2 priming system, meaning can I put in a corney and pump in some CO2 to remove oxygen, remove it and store it without ill effects? Also, if I want to change beer styles can I easily pressurize and change out partially drained kegs without ill effects?

Thanks!

I routinely pressure up kegs and store them after racking from fermenter.

I don't know that I would do that with a partially used keg. Once the keg is cold I like to keep it cold. Fresh beer doesn't like changing temperatures.

i'm not sure if your asking if you have a keg can you remove pressure to carb another one. i believe you should be able to do that as long as you go back to the partially charged keg.

What I am hoping for is that as a brew is finished I can hook it up, push some CO2 in and vent to remove any oxygen then sit it at room temp until ready to drink.

...and say I drink half a keg of pale ale and I'm feeling like a stout which maybe I have sitting in a keg (per above method) I can switch them out. I have read that temp change affecting beer is myth and only light is the enemy. But I guess I could find a way to keep it chilled, if that's the only issue.

As far as equipment on a kegerator can you switch things out like this?

You don't really need to even put the keg in the kegerator to pump & purge some CO2. Just make sure you leave some extra length to your gas line so you can run it out of the kegerator to do the gas thing which takes a few moments to get done. As for removing partial kegs and temperature changes I don't know what effect it would have. If your thinking about that it sounds like you need at least 3 taps for your kegerator.

Yeah, I don't mean so putting it in the kegerator as much as using the kegerator hardware to do this. I would love three taps on a kegerator and plan to have one as soon as I win the lottery. :)

Edit: 5 taps

how big of a tank are you thinking of getting? are you planning of keeping it in the kegorator or out? if its out you could get 2 regs and use 1 tank to do both.

i have 2 tanks , one in the kegorator and 1 out for cleaning , flushing , purging, exc.

and spare corny for flushing beer lines is handy.

Back