Which of these yeasts should I use for my SNPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm doing a 10-gallon batch of my Nierra Sevada Pale Ale next weekend.

I'm trying to avoid spending more $$ on yeast and this is what I have that may work:

Front Runners:
1 (dry) packet Safale US-56
1 (dry) packet Lallemand Nottingham

Long Shot:
A double batch of recently harvested Wyeast London Ale 1028

No Chance:
A double batch of recently harvested Kolsch Yeast
A double batch of recently harvested Belgian Wit Yeast

One more question:

With a ten gallon batch, would I just split a dry packet in two (assuming I don't follow the inevitable suggestion to pitch one of each) and pour it in, or is it necessary to make a massive starter 5-6 days out?

(I've heard that dry yeasts pack sufficient yeast cells that a starter is not necessary.)

Hmm...probably the Safale, but the Nottingham should work well too. I say safale because based on what I've read it brings out the hops a bit more.

Dan

Willsellout said:
Hmm...probably the Safale, but the Nottingham should work well too. I say safale because based on what I've read it brings out the hops a bit more.

Dan
That's what I'm looking for is some shear hoppiness.

Then I would say the Safale. On a side note, have you ever thrown hops in with the mash? I was thinking about doing this with my next AG IPA because I want a ton of flavor and aroma.

Dan

Back