10-10-10 BGS Swap Sign-up and Details

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
This thread is to set up the 10-10-10 Belgian Golden Strong swap. We are down to less than 6 weeks before 10/10/10 so we need to rush this through pretty quickly. Please post in this thead if you would like to participate and meet and agree to the requirements detailed below.

Standard shipping protocol applies:
You'll ship to three randomly assigned people
You'll receive from three randomly assigned people
You'll ship a minimum of 44 ounces. (Two 22 ouncers, four 12 ouncers or any combination thereof).
As with previous x/x/x swaps, at least two of the bottles (regardless of size) should be the 10/10/10 BGS. You are welcome to also include other creations that the recipient might enjoy sooner. No "crap" beer that you just need to get rid of please.
In the end, we should all end up with at least 6 bottles of 10/10/10 and likely some additional varieties.

Please consider carefully:
If you are not 100% convinced that you will see this through, please do not agree to participate.
Please agree only if you are relatively sober at the time...then you can get as druck as you like...
If you've stiffed anyone in a prior swap, you need not apply.
If you've been stiffed in a prior swap, PM me with info and I'll filter the list accordingly.

Anyone who brewed this beer is elgible to participate!

I'd like to have everything arranged by 9/10/10 so that we have a month to complete shipping, receiving, etc. So please respond in this thread before that time. I'll randomly assign each participant 3 recipients and post up the matches. At that time, it will be up to you to contact your recipients to get shipping info, etc.

Participants

KingBrianI
Hookstrat
SpanishCastleAle
Edcculus
jacksonbrown

Recipient List

101010RecipientList.jpg

I'm definitely in, but may need to re-up my membership. I joined initially to participate in this swap and I'm looking forward to sampling and sharing!

I planned to participate. As of a few weeks ago, my beer wasn't carbed. I'm hoping it will be carbed by then, but I can't make any promises. They are corked and caged in Belgian bottles, so it would be a major PITA to uncork and try to add more yeast at this point...

I guess I'll join the swap, and if they don't carb, I'll make it up to the people Im supposed to swap with.

I planned to participate. As of a few weeks ago, my beer wasn't carbed. I'm hoping it will be carbed by then, but I can't make any promises. They are corked and caged in Belgian bottles, so it would be a major PITA to uncork and try to add more yeast at this point...

I guess I'll join the swap, and if they don't carb, I'll make it up to the people Im supposed to swap with.

Sounds good!

I'm in, and in the same boat as Ed, carbonation wise. I'll toss in some active yeast this weekend and hope that does the trick.

Alright, I updated the original post with the recipient list. Please contact your three recipients to get their shipping address, etc. and send your packages as soon as possible. To assign recipients, I used random.org to randomize the participant list. Each person was then assigned the three people below them on the list, with the end of the list referring back to the top. Please let me know if you have any questions.

SpanishCastle,

Your pm box is full and I need your address for the swap. Please pm or reply to this thread!

Thanks,
Luke

SpanishCastle,

Your pm box is full and I need your address for the swap. Please pm or reply to this thread!

Thanks,
Luke
Yea I only have a 5 item mailbox (which means i can't receive and send to 3 people without deleting something) but I cleared it out and have all 3 addresses I need and all 3 of my senders should have my address.

To those who get my beers, don't pull any punches. Full disclosure appreciated.:)

Whoa. I just sat down to inject some active yeast in to these bad boys to get them carbonated but it turns out they finally got there themselves. I popped open three bottles (their EZ tops, so quickly resealed), and all three popped with a Co2 mist. I'm sampling one right now, and it's a doozy! Very strong, but not all that bad. Carbonation is not where I'd want it, but I can drink it. It's very wine-like. Anyway, that's my update. Should get these mailed out by Wednesday, maybe Thursday. Cheers!

Whoa. I just sat down to inject some active yeast in to these bad boys to get them carbonated but it turns out they finally got there themselves. I popped open three bottles (their EZ tops, so quickly resealed), and all three popped with a Co2 mist. I'm sampling one right now, and it's a doozy! Very strong, but not all that bad. Carbonation is not where I'd want it, but I can drink it. It's very wine-like. Anyway, that's my update. Should get these mailed out by Wednesday, maybe Thursday. Cheers!

I'm experiencing about the same thing. All of mine is 4 hours away from me right now, but I had my brother sample it for me. He sent me a pic that showed pretty good head on the beer.

Now I just have to convince him to box it all up for me! I took all of the beer back home since were using it as the toast in my wedding and forgot to keep a few where I live. No worries, everyone will get their beer, I'm just going to have to pull in a huge favor from my brother!

Are my recipients ok with a Holiday Spiced Ale, a Saison that had fresh rosemary, sage and lavender added at flameout, my Samhain Pumpkin Ale and an RIS being sent in addition to the 10/10/10s or do you dislike any of the styles? I can swap out any beers you wouldn't like for something you prefer.

That sounds great Brian! I will probably lean towards sending some of my more interesting offerings as well (e.g. Bourbon Barrel Quad w. Sour Cherries). Had to delay my shipping by a day or two, but you should all see a package by next Tuesday.

Luke

Sounds good to me too Brian. My recipients - You will probably be getting 2 boxes. I have to have my brother send out the 10-10-10 since its back home, and I still want to send some extra stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of holiday spice beers, but I'm willing to try anything once. Between the wife and I, we'll drink it down.
I'll be sending along some strong scotch ales I brewed a year+ ago as well as some chocolate rye porter or english pale. We'll see how motivated I get.

Hey guys,

If you are receiving my beer it should arrive by Tuesday. Please let me know if it does not. I stand behind the product shipped, but I do apologize for the lackluster bottles w. frayed labels. I just do not care about what the bottle looks like right now. Anyways, here is a description and decoder of my beers:

Devil May Cry 10/10/10
O.G. 1.095
F.G. 1.090
Color: 8.3 SRM
IBU: 45
ABV: 11.7%

I used 1# each of wheat and munich and #3 table sugar fed over 3 days. The Wyeast 3739 is really, really nice; I only wish I had banked some. If you would like to avoid yeast sediment with this beer please chill and decant.

4-Grain Wee Heavy

O.G. 1.101
F.G. 1.028
Color: 20 SRM
IBU: 28
ABV: 10%

Please enjoy this beer. I made this beer with 30 #s of Golden Promise. I did two separate 5 gl. mashes and boiled portions of each batch ~3 hrs to get some kettle caramelization. After a short primary fermentation, I racked each carboy into a bourbon barrel (e.g. a fresh, "Hudson 4-Grain Bourbon" barrel from Tuthilltown Spirits). This Wee Heavy spent 1 month in the Bourbon barrel and has now aged in bottle for ~4 months. It will likely get better with more age.

SMaSHed Imperial Pils

O.G. 1.081
F.G. 1.018
Color: 5.2 SRM
IBU: 70
ABV: 8.5%

Single Malt, Single Hop; somewhat a clone of Rogue's Imp Pils.

Alright, all of my packages are going in the mail tomorrow. Everyone should get them in a couple/few days. Here's the key to the secret codes on the caps!

10-10-10 Self-explanatory! Mine came out to like 13-14% ABV so it packs a punch. Fermented with the flanders golden ale strain and I used a homemade light belgian candi syrup in place of the white sugar.

HSA Holiday Spiced Ale. Brewed in the belgian dark strong style with spices, rum and oak. Kind of like a liquid rum cake. Very smooth, rich, and decadent. You might want to save this one for a cold night.

HS Herbed Saison. Saison with the addition of fresh-picked herbs from the backyard added at flameout. One sprig each of rosemary, sage and lavender. Crisp, refreshing, lightly perfumed, it will make you think you're enjoying a local farmhouse ale in some meadow in France with wildflowers in bloom on a sunny spring day!

PA Pumpkin Ale. My https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/ recipe. If you like pumpkin ales you'll LOVE this beer.

W12 Westvleteren 12 clone. Brewed simply with only belgian pilsner and pale malts, and homemade dark candi syrup. Decocted for complexity. It scored better than the real thing in the Westy 12 competition.

RIS Russian Imperial Stout. It's this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/heart-darkness-ris-196161/ . I brewed it in conjunction with NCBeernut and we split the wort. He fermented his with WY1028 and I used Thames Valley II. While his is drinking very good right now, this one still needs some time. It is a big, BIG stout, not in alcohol, but it flavor and complexity. You would really do well to leave this one somewhere for a while before opening, because those flavors are still overwhelming at this point. This beer is "meaty"! But I think it will drink very well at some point in the future. I'm hoping so anyway!

So that's the secret decoder. I hope everyone likes them. Please post feedback on them! I'd appreciate it if you were completely blunt, honest and critical. I'm always trying to improve.

My stuff should be going out today. IBUs are just per my calculations (Tinseth).

DMC - Devil May Cry - OG=1.100, FG=1.004; 50 IBU
VL - Vienna Lager - OG=1.051, FG=1.014; 22 IBU
HL - Hartford Lager (American Amber Lager) - OG=1.054, FG=1.013; 27 IBU
SSA - Strong Scotch Ale (Wee Heavy) - OG=1.077, FG=1.023, 26 IBU; 22 oz bottle

Oops. Looks like my boxes got mixed up. I intended to send that one to Brian because it sounded like he might enjoy that style more.

Anyways, that is a 11% Belgian Dark Strong finished w. Brett B. and then aged in a Bourbon barrel with 9#s of sour cherries. Enjoy!

Yep, I got the package today with the 4 grain wee heavy and imp. pils. I'm sure it will still be awesome but I was really looking forward to that brett and cherry, barrel aged dark strong!

Hookstrat, got your shipment today. All's well that arrived well.
My bottles are going out tomorrow since I don't have to be in to work until 2 (damn presidential visit).

I'll be sending: 2 EZ cap bottles (22 oz) of 101010, so that'll be easy to spot. 13.14% ABV fermented with Wy3711, the French Saison yeast. I recommend saving one for another year if you can, I have no doubt it will improve immensely.

2 12oz bottles of Chocolate Rye Porter (CRP - gold caps). This is a new recipe and I just bottled them this weekend, so I'd give them a few weeks to carbonate. It was aged in a secondary for 3 months, so it should be good to go once the Co2 is there. This isn't designated as crap beer because I haven't tried it yet and am hoping it's not as such. I would very much like opinions and suggestions however. 5.34% ABV, although my OG came out way lower than I targeted (1.054 instead of 1.063) because of a bad crush (my mill sucks).

2 12oz bottles of a Wee Heavy (red caps). Brewed 2/28/09, bottled on 04/07/09 this has really come together nicely. 8.25% ABV, A malty, dry, somewhat roasted aroma with a sweet back note. Color is a deep red, nearly brown, and very muddy. Under carbonated but drinks quite nicely. A slightly roasted, caramelized flavor. Goes down very easily. Another bottle you might want to consider putting aside for another year.

Yep, I got the package today with the 4 grain wee heavy and imp. pils. I'm sure it will still be awesome but I was really looking forward to that brett and cherry, barrel aged dark strong!

Sorry about that Brian. All I can say is that I guess we'll have to do another swap!

Kinda wish I'd have waited just one more day to ship, then I could've sent Brian the BDSA along with the rest. I'm still open to try and resolve it. I haven't had very many sour beers but haven't liked any of them (and that's being kind). Also not a fruit-beer lover either. Maybe this beer will change that but I hate to see it wasted on somebody who can't appreciate it.

Packages have been shipped. I PM'd Brian and Ed with tracking numbers (SpanishCastleAle, your box is full). They should all arrive on Friday, and hopefuly intact.

Yup, just got mine. Nice packing job!! Looks like a nice haul, thanks!

Looks like you took the question about the code off but here it is again just in case:

Alright, all of my packages are going in the mail tomorrow. Everyone should get them in a couple/few days. Here's the key to the secret codes on the caps!

10-10-10 Self-explanatory! Mine came out to like 13-14% ABV so it packs a punch. Fermented with the flanders golden ale strain and I used a homemade light belgian candi syrup in place of the white sugar.

HSA Holiday Spiced Ale. Brewed in the belgian dark strong style with spices, rum and oak. Kind of like a liquid rum cake. Very smooth, rich, and decadent. You might want to save this one for a cold night.

HS Herbed Saison. Saison with the addition of fresh-picked herbs from the backyard added at flameout. One sprig each of rosemary, sage and lavender. Crisp, refreshing, lightly perfumed, it will make you think you're enjoying a local farmhouse ale in some meadow in France with wildflowers in bloom on a sunny spring day!

PA Pumpkin Ale. My https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/ recipe. If you like pumpkin ales you'll LOVE this beer.

W12 Westvleteren 12 clone. Brewed simply with only belgian pilsner and pale malts, and homemade dark candi syrup. Decocted for complexity. It scored better than the real thing in the Westy 12 competition.

RIS Russian Imperial Stout. It's this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/heart-darkness-ris-196161/ . I brewed it in conjunction with NCBeernut and we split the wort. He fermented his with WY1028 and I used Thames Valley II. While his is drinking very good right now, this one still needs some time. It is a big, BIG stout, not in alcohol, but it flavor and complexity. You would really do well to leave this one somewhere for a while before opening, because those flavors are still overwhelming at this point. This beer is "meaty"! But I think it will drink very well at some point in the future. I'm hoping so anyway!

So that's the secret decoder. I hope everyone likes them. Please post feedback on them! I'd appreciate it if you were completely blunt, honest and critical. I'm always trying to improve.

KingBrian and SpanishCastle - I picked up your packages from the front office of my apt complex.

To my recipients - you will be getting 2 packages. One will be just the 10-10-10 beer. I'm having my brother send those packages out since all of the beer is back home for my wedding. He will be sending the packages out tomorrow.

I'll also be sending a package with a few bottles of a Rye IPA. Its a 7.5% IPA brewed with 2 row, rye malt, crystal 60 and honey malt. Hopped with Warrior, Amarillo and Simcoe. Dry Hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo. Its a little on the darker side for an IPA, but the hop flavor and aroma are out of this world. I'll be getting those out tomorrow also.

I was going to send some cider, but the keg kicked as I was filling the first bottle. Sorry!

Bad news Ed, you pkg apparently got damaged in transit. I haven't received an official claim but that's what it says when I clicked the tracking number. I'll send you out another tomorrow (Friday).

First review, couldn't wait any longer! Since the beer appeared to be bottled from a keg, I figured it didn't need to settle and opened it tonight.

SpanishCastleAle's Vienna Lager

Aroma: Generic frutiness from possible brett contamination?, toasted marshmallow, sweet malt

Appearance: Copper to Pale Brown, slight haze. Smooth white head.

Flavor: Thin maltiness giving over to a balancing bitterness. Finishes with a very slight tartness with a gentle mineral bite. Rising above everything is a frutiness similar to that smelled in the aroma. I've had this same flavor arise before after having what I think might be a wild brett infection. It forms that thin white layer on top of the beer in the fermenter that is easily broken up. I've heard several people say it doesn't contribute to the flavor, but I've always been able to taste its kind of weird frutiness. I've kind of developed a hatred of the particular flavor and though it is slight in this beer, it detracts from the other flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied, almost watery. Good carbonation.

Overall: This beer has a lot of potential. I'd really like to have tasted it without the brett. Did you notice the white film on top of the beer? I've noticed once a fermenter has had that infection, it is almost impossible to get rid of it. I think the weak malt flavor and thin body are a result of the brett. Having said that, the malt flavor present was very good. Especially on the finish, the sweet malt balanced well with the bitterness and created a great combo.

DSC_3940NEF.jpg

DSC_3955NEF.jpg

Popped open Brian's herbed saison this evening. I'm not as articulate as Brian, nor did I take pictures, but this is a very tasty beer. My wife's pallet is much more discerning when it comes to herbs and she picked out the rosemary and lavender without my even saying it was in there.
Big fluffy white head off the bat that settles rather fast, but still retains a little throughout. Copper wheat, someone hazy appearance. There's a little copper aroma that I find common in saisons with just a hint of the lavender coming through. The rosemary and sage come through very gently in the flavor and the lavender is something of an after thought. It really compliments the yeast flavor very well. Nice light mouth feel, carbonation could be a bit higher.
I enjoy this very much. When I get beers with unusual ingredients I tend to be hesitant. But I could easily drink a few of these and be very content.

Sorry you didn't like it Brian. I haven't had one of those in a while but I'm going to open one and see. It was a NHC second rounder. I never noticed any white film on it. I remember it being crystal clear as well (you said there was haze) but it may have hazed when it got warm during shipment.

Back