Pilsner malt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
Am brewing a Belgian blonde this weekend. I have a sack of Breiss pilsner malt I will be using as a base malt along with some aromatic and a little wheat malt. The color of the Breiss is 1.2 compared to a pilsner malt like Dingemann's which is 1.9. Being that this is a North American malt what would you all recommend doing to my recipe o compensate for the difference in color? Or does it matter?

72% pils
14% sugar
9% wheat
4.5% aromatic

For a Belgian Blond, I'm sure Belgian pilsner is preferred but I'm sure the domestic pilsner will be fine. It might not have as strong of a malt flavor. I would just add a bit more aromatic, it will help with the malt flavor and keep the color correct. I would also eliminate or lower the amount of sugar and use more Pilsner malt, which will increase flavor as well. Just mash real low like 148 to keep it dry.

JRems said:
For a Belgian Blond, I'm sure Belgian pilsner is preferred but I'm sure the domestic pilsner will be fine. It might not have as strong of a malt flavor. I would just add a bit more aromatic, it will help with the malt flavor and keep the color correct. I would also eliminate or lower the amount of sugar and use more Pilsner malt, which will increase flavor as well. Just mash real low like 148 to keep it dry.

That is a good point on the sugar. I am doing a step infusion mash so I can extend my beta rest and maybe it will dry up l a little more that way.

Back