I'd like to take a taste, but it's still very slightly bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crunchy

Reaction score
I'm making EdWort's apfelwein, and despite the concoction having been set up five weeks ago, there are still a few bubbles coming out of the ex-juice. I'd say the airlock lets off a very slight gurgle every minute or ninety second, not even enough pressure to push all the vodka from the tube.

I know it's nowhere near ready to drink, but patience and self control has never been a strong suit of mine.

I'm really itching to just siphon out a teacup's worth and taste it.

Assuming I sanitize the siphon and stuff, is getting a bit of marginally living yeast a problem? I worked at a healthfood store many years ago, and one of the "cure of the month" movements was actively worried about people consuming yeast, and live yeast would have sent them into paroxysms of fear. On that front, I can sort of see their point.

Would having a small cup that might contain some living, but doubtlessly very ill yeast be a problem?

Also, when the heck is it all going die?

Yes, you can take a sample. It might taste a little funky with all of the yeast in there, but it won't hurt you one bit. Yeast (living or dead) is actually good for you. Besides, the environment in your stomach is so acidic, they won't survive a hot minute.

The yeast don't necessarily "die". When they have consumed all of the available sugars, they will clump together (flocculate) and fall to the bottom of the fermenter. That doesn't mean they are dead. If you introduced more fermentables, they would probably kick back into action. Also, unless you filter the living hell out of cider or beer, or bulk age it for years, there is always going to be some amount of yeast in solution.

It will die when you rack off of the yeast and dry it or flash freeze it. Don't worry about the yeast. Any bottle condition beer or sparkling wine has live yeast in it. RDWHAHB, live yeast is not dangerous. it can be a little stinky until your gut has its own colony growing. As for tasting good luck on enjoying it at this point. At 6 months mine started tasting ok, at 1 year it tasted very nice.

Thanks. Just pulled out a good sized cup (It ended up being a coffee mug rather than a teacup).

I don't care for wine from grapes, and this had a bit of a winey scent, but the taste is super mild and even brand new, it's drinkable. I'll go ahead and bottle it on the second weekend in July and let it reach that purportedly magical six month mark.

Thanks again for the knowledge.

As for tasting good luck on enjoying it at this point.

Heh. Yes. It tastes a bit like watery apple juice with a bit of something extra. But even that pleases me. I was expecting it to gag me, but it did not do that. I feel better having gotten out a glass and tasted it (lack of flavor not withstanding), It was like finally scratching an itch. I'll put the rest in bottles in a few weeks and let it do its thing.

I don't care for wine from grapes, and this had a bit of a winey scent, but the taste is super mild and even brand new, it's drinkable. I'll go ahead and bottle it on the second weekend in July and let it reach that purportedly magical six month mark.

Six month mark? Good luck with that! You better have a second batch (or third) already started.

Cheers,
Michael

Back