Yeast Sediment - I HATE you, go away...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDuckbutter

Reaction score
can someone detail the possible ways to rid my finished bottled and/or kegged brew of the dreaded yeast sediment...i mean clearly it can be done based on the many commercial brews i have drank...I hate it...it must go away...soon...
Thanks,
any help from the simplest to the most scientific explainations will be appreciated...
drduckbutter

can someone detail the possible ways to rid my finished bottled and/or kegged brew of the dreaded yeast sediment...i mean clearly it can be done based on the many commercial brews i have drank...I hate it...it must go away...soon...
Thanks,
any help from the simplest to the most scientific explainations will be appreciated...
drduckbutter

Even commercially brewed bottle conditioned beer has it. Learn to love it, it is your friend. :)

Well, you can filter on your way to the keg. That will remove all the suspended yeast, but some say it can also strip out some flavor.

That's how breweries do it. A good filtering setup is probably in the $150 range or so. I've noticed, though, that if I leave the beer in the carboy for a few weeks before transferring to the keg that it's super clear and that the yeast sediment stays in the keg. I then bottle a few from the keg, if I want bottles, and there isn't a hint of sediment at all.

In a bottle conditioned beer, there isn't a lot you can do about the sediment, since it's the yeast that carbonates your beer. You can minimize it by leaving the beer in the fermenter for a longer time, and to use finings to clarify it, but you can't eliminate it.

You minimize the amount of yeast that gets into your package (keg or bottle) by cold-crashing before racking and exercising a bit of care so as not to dislodge the yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter or bright tank. Given enough time, the beer will clear and you'll get enough yeast cells in suspension to still adequately carbonate your beer in the bottle.

Why do you hate the yeast so? 'Tis your friend, mate!

yes i appreciate that everyone gets "wood" over the yeast....but i was just wondering, from a brewing/scientific point of view, how, if so inclined, one would keep the yeast out...
it does not hurt me...it does not call me names...i was just wondering..i feel a quick line from any of you would be faster and more accurate than reading a boring book on homebrewing..
Thanks,

I cold crash, then keg... the first pint has a little yeast sediment in it, after that it runs clear. I think in all practicality that is all you need to do.

Drink bud....otherwise get used to it.

It's a fact of life when you make living beers. Unles you keg or force carb there needs to be living yeast in your beer to carb and conditiion.

Rather than try to avoid it you should relish in the fact that you have made REAL LIVING BEER as opposed to tasteless and processed commercial crap...It's not to be dreaded it's to be celebrated.

Learn to pour homebrew properly and get over it...

[youtube]xyXn4UBjQkE[/youtube]

The Belgians practically worship it, for all it's healthful benefits...

brewersyeast.jpg

Think of carbing/conditioning as another (but tiny) fermentation, in a small (12, 16, or 22 ounce) carboy. The yeast converts the sugar (priming solution) to a miniscule amount of alcohol (not really enough to change the abv of the beer) and CO2...The CO2 builds up in the headspace, is trapped and is reabsorbed in the solution...

Most of the time we don't notice this, (except for new brewers who stare at their bottles then start a "wtf" thread) but depending on the yeast, a mini krauzen forms on top of the bottle, then it falls, like in your fermenter and that becomes the "sludge" at the bottom of the bottles. As it falls it also scrubs the beer clean of many off flavors on the way down.

This is very similar to the trub at the bottom of your fermenter, only obvioulsy much much smaller.

Now some yeast are more flocculant then others, also depending on some brewing things one may do, some beers have very little noticeable yeast at the bottom, either because it just din't form that much OR it wasn't very flocculant and it is still in solution.

A long primary helps tighten the cake in primary, as does crash cooling...Racking to a secondary, adding finings and crash cooling all affect how much yeast is in suspension in the beer to help carb it...Also the type of yeast will change the amount of apparant yeast in the bottom, or in solution...

Also chilling the bottles down for at least a week after the 3 weeks @ 70 will help make the beer clearer and pull the yeast down to the bottom.

When I bottle I always run the autosiphon once across the bottom of the fermenter to make sure I DO kick up enough yeast for carbonation.

A lot of my beers have very little yeast at the bottom of the bottle, some appear to not have any at all, even though they seem to carb up fine.

also remember SOME beers, like Hefes are supposed to be cloudy with suspended yeasts.

For me personally, sometimes I intentionally dump the yeast in my glass, other times I do the "pour to the shoulder" method, where you watch the yeast mover up to the shoulder of the beer, and stop pouring just as the yeast is about to come out...

Now as opposed to the OP that thinks filtered dead beers are better than real beers, here's a pretty comrehensive list of all the commercial beers that are bottle conditioned...it's not too up to date though...but it is impressive...this is what a lot of us who ACTUALLY BOTTLE HARVEST THE GLORIOUS YEASTS from beers to capture the strains, use as a rough reference...

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

Now if you look at this list, and then compare it to the "clear beers" (meaning BMC) you will quickly see that the kind of beer the OP is referring to is actually in the minority..

Mods, can't you at least merge DrDuckButters THREE threads on this same topic?

Oh, this is the same guy I've answered the same freaking answer to three different times??????

What, he thinks if he keeps answering he's going to get different answers from people???

I'm glad all I did was cut and paste the same answers I posted in HIS other threads in here....

Geez...

Ducky...you want yeast free beer....Buy this..

Budweiser%20-%20Label.jpg

Real Commercial beer has yeast in it...and even kegged homebrew has yeast in it...You either deal with it, by leaving it in the bottle, or stick to drinking dead beer like bud.

Once again here's a pretty large list of commercial beers with yeast in it.

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

There's way more beers with yeast in the bottle than there is dead and filtered nowadays...

sorry about the 3 threads...i had issues...I never saw the thread started, so i started another one...then i got a membership and now there are 3 variations of the same lame question..i would delete them, but i cannot figure it out...in my less than 1 day tenure on the site...SORRY

sorry about the 3 threads...i had issues...I never saw the thread started, so i started another one...then i got a membership and now there are 3 variations of the same lame question..i would delete them, but i cannot figure it out...in my less than 1 day tenure on the site...SORRY

It happens. At the bottom of the original post there's an edit button, you can delete the other two post's from there.:mug:

You really should relax about the yeast sediment, of all the hundreds of things to worry about in brewing, yeast sediment is at the bottom of the list.

Anyone?? speaking of bottling from the keg..
will it last from keg to bottle (if properly sterilized, capped etc,..) the same as if you originally bottled it? or does it act more like you put it in a growler??
Thanks

Anyone?? speaking of bottling from the keg..
will it last from keg to bottle (if properly sterilized, capped etc,..) the same as if you originally bottled it? or does it act more like you put it in a growler??
Thanks

Yes it should. I read a thread the other day where someone had left a brew for 18 months after bottling from a keg with no loss of carbonation.

Kudos to you for your good attitude. It's easy to see why some of us might get annoyed at seing 3 threads the same from one person. It's also more usual to see the person that made that mistake take umbrage at the pissiness and stalk off in a huff......Well done for clearing that up for us. :)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned whirlfloc, gelatin or irish moss. I use Irish moss and most of my beers come out very very clear.

I also primary for 1 month then keg and cold condition for a few weeks.

Linc

I'm surprised nobody mentioned whirlfloc, gelatin or irish moss. I use Irish moss and most of my beers come out very very clear.

I also primary for 1 month then keg and cold condition for a few weeks.

Linc

Noone mentioned whirflock or irish moss because those are added to the boil, and really have nothing to do with clearing yeast out of the fermented beer. Gelatin would be an option... afriad that the OP cannot really do away with yeast sediment in his bottled beer though, otherwise it wont carb.

Back