3 Floyd's Behemoth Barleywine clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezerpleezer

Reaction score
I have done a lot of searchine/browsing on HBT as well as others and have been unable to come up with a clone for 3 Floyd's Behemoth. Anyone got any ideas on where to start? I have never done a Barleywine but was wanting to do something similar to Behemoth for either my 25th brew (3 away) or one year anniversary (3 months). Thanks in advance.

Here is the informtion from their website:
"10.5% ABV 80 IBUs. A huge, sweet Barley Wine with complex caramel malt notes, balanced by generous hopping and a high alcohol content. This fruity and malty beer is best enjoyed while keeping warm in the brutal winter months. January release."

Fruity could mean a Belgium yeast or just fermented about 70 for esters. I've never had the beer so can give you specifics but make sure to mash high for unfermentables for the sweetness/caramel (with crystal malts most likely).

They are supposed to use English Ale yeast for a lot of their beers (1968/002) so that would be a good guess for this one.

I'd go with loads of pale malt, a couple different crystal malts, maybe some melanoidin (they use it prominently in Dreadnought). It is pretty hoppy when fresh, 3F seems to use Amarillo in a lot of their beers so that might be a good idea.

Make sure you are ready to brew a big beer, lots of yeast, good temp controls etc...

Good luck.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to brew 3 Floyd's Behemoth Barleywine. Clone recipes are few.

I found one here:
http://hopville.com/recipe/449080/american-barleywine-recipes/behemoth-barleywine

Based on that recipe and information found at 3FFF and on other threads on HBT, I have come up with this recipe.

ABV and IBUs match 3FFF info page. I used the picture of the beer on the 3FFF page and looked at an SRM chart on my computer screen. It looks close. The above recipe states SRM of 7.

Questions:
What mash temp is best? I have 152F.
Is 12% crystal 10L too much? It scares me.
I would love any questions or comments. Thanks.

THIS IS A 3 GALLON BATCH. I am making extra in case of loss.

Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Boil Size: 5.40 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.098 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Primary
10.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US 87.8 %
1.50 lb Crystal Malt - 10L 12.2 %
0.75 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min 45.3 IBUs
0.75 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min 7.2 IBUs
1.0 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 28.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American #US-05

Secondary
1.0 pkg Pasteur Champagne
2.60 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days)
1.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days

Mash 152F
Total Grain Weight: 12.25 lb
----------------------------
Mash In 152F Add 17.31 qt of water at 163.8 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, 1.27gal , 1.27gal) of 168.0 F water

I haven't had this brew in a while, but I remember when it was fresh that it has a huge hop nose. I would think you're going to want Amarillo in there, as a late and dry hop addition if you want it to be remotely similar.

Being a 3F fan, and have done alot of their clones, heres a couple tips. They rely on technique- most recipes are very similar, using 2row, melanoidin, and a crystal malt. Hopwise, bang it hard at FWH, then nothing until < 20 minutes left. Dont be afraid of dry hopping the daylights outta it. I did a Zombie dust clone last month, and found dryhopping in the primary helpful as you can adjust in the secondary if necessary. That is a huge beer and you will lose ALOT of the hops because of that. My Zombie Dust actually calculated out to 118 IBUs, but balanced out perfectly. Beheamoth is much bigger, so dont be afraid that you are over hopping. I would lose the champaign yeast in the secondary- will make too dry. Just pitch a huge and healthy starter. I usually use Safale 04 or 05 for my 3F clones. Good luck!

I really appreciate the help! I brewed the Zombie Dust clone too. It was definitely the best beer I brewed.
I'll drop the champagne yeast.
I was just choosing the hops for behemoth based on that other extract recipe. I can easily brew it the way I brewed ZD (first-wort, dry-hop...), but do you agree on the Amarillo? Would you change the hops used?
Also, do you think mashing at 152f is good?

I would mash at 148-149 and pitch a big starter to get good attenuation. Also add more late/flameout hops and dryhop. You may also consider using less oak, that is a lot for the batch size.

I agree with the lower mash temps. Would do at least 90 minute boil. Would lose the hallertaurs and stick with 'rillos. I used comets in ZD clone (hopsdirect). Comets bang hard and are very similar to 'rillos, but chinook/CTZ type would prob do well also

In another thread I posted the FG of some FFF beers - Behemoth's was 1.022. With an ABV of 10.5% - your OG would need to be 1.102.

Here is the new recipe based on all of your responses.

Tinman:
I used the Zombie Dust technique. I swapped half of the crystal 10L for Melanoiden. The Zombie clone has carapils. Do you think I need any of that?
I am doing the first-wort hopping with Chinook. I read in the Zombie Dust Clone thread that first-wort hopping should be calculated as a 20 minute hop addition.
I took out the champagne yeast.

Skeezer:
I am mashing at 148F for 90 minutes. Also, I have added more hops at flame-out and in the dry-hop.
I cut the oak by 60%.

Also, except for the first-wort Chinooks, I just switched all the hops to Amarillo. Is that too one-sided? Should I mix Chinooks and Amarillos in the flavor and aroma additions?

(EDITED RECIPE 2.0)
Batch Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.9 IBUs

10.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 87.2 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 6.4 %
0.75 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) 6.4 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.0 %] - First Wort 20.0 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min 28.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 23.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American US-05
1.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 14 Days

Mash Schedule: Mash 148F
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Mash In 150F, Add 16.69 qt of water at 161.9 F, 148F @ 90 min
Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, 1.57gal, 1.57gal) of 168.0 F water

Note: Need wax for the bottle and need to learn to draw a label.

Looks good- I would double the yeast or make a big starter

Normally, I just re-hydrate the yeast. One 11.5 gm package of US-05 has 200 billion yeast cells. Mr. malty indicates I need 190 billion yeast cells, so I should be good to go.

Here is the new recipe based on all of your responses.

Tinman:
I used the Zombie Dust technique. I swapped half of the crystal 10L for Melanoiden. The Zombie clone has carapils. Do you think I need any of that?
I am doing the first-wort hopping with Chinook. I read in the Zombie Dust Clone thread that first-wort hopping should be calculated as a 20 minute hop addition.
I took out the champagne yeast.

Skeezer:
I am mashing at 148F for 90 minutes. Also, I have added more hops at flame-out and in the dry-hop.
I cut the oak by 60%.

Also, except for the first-wort Chinooks, I just switched all the hops to Amarillo. Is that too one-sided? Should I mix Chinooks and Amarillos in the flavor and aroma additions?

(EDITED RECIPE 2.0)
Batch Size: 3.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 70.9 IBUs

10.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 87.2 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 6.4 %
0.75 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) 6.4 %
0.75 oz Chinook [13.0 %] - First Wort 20.0 19.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min 28.7 IBUs
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 23.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American US-05
1.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days)
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 14 Days

Mash Schedule: Mash 148F
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
Mash In 150F, Add 16.69 qt of water at 161.9 F, 148F @ 90 min
Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, 1.57gal, 1.57gal) of 168.0 F water

Note: Need wax for the bottle and need to learn to draw a label.

I'm digging up a thread from the dead. This is my favorite barleywine and I'm going to be trying this recipe. I'm a little concerned about 6%+ of Melanoidin in the bill. But I'm willing to take the leap of faith.

Any other suggestions or comments?

6% Melanoidin isn't unreasonable - many people have brewed up a clone of Dreadnaught (a beer nearly just as big) with 10% melanoidin and have good results.

Looking at the recipe, I would doubt very much it's an all Amarillo beer (Nick Floyd has been reported saying he would like to get away from that hop), but it wouldn't surprise me if it is in the beer. I would probably throw some cascade in this beer, FFF seems to use it in quite a few of their hoppy beers, and that hop pairs well with Amarillo for sure.

6% Melanoidin isn't unreasonable - many people have brewed up a clone of Dreadnaught (a beer nearly just as big) with 10% melanoidin and have good results.

Looking at the recipe, I would doubt very much it's an all Amarillo beer (Nick Floyd has been reported saying he would like to get away from that hop), but it wouldn't surprise me if it is in the beer. I would probably throw some cascade in this beer, FFF seems to use it in quite a few of their hoppy beers, and that hop pairs well with Amarillo for sure.

I'd be shocked if Amarillo wasn't in it. But I agree, most likely there are other hops as well. Cascade is a good recommendation and I'll intermingle some of that too.

And thank you for your input on the melanoidin. I know they use it in a lot of their recipes but it's a very distinct flavor and one I don't want to over do.

I'm digging up a thread from the dead. This is my favorite barleywine and I'm going to be trying this recipe. I'm a little concerned about 6%+ of Melanoidin in the bill. But I'm willing to take the leap of faith.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Hey! Did you brew this? I never did get around to brewing it.

Hey! Did you brew this? I never did get around to brewing it.

Yes, and I swapped out half the Amarillo and replaced with Cascade. It's cold crashing now. It will be carbed and serve ready on Friday. I'll report back then. But the early taste (pre-dry hop) was good. Not as malty as I feared with all that Melanoidin. :)

Back