Young's Special Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg

Reaction score
The first couple of half mash and all grain recipes I ever brewed were always traditional english bitters, mainly because they did not require much in the way of high capacity equipment, the recipes were really simple, and they fermented and matured very quickly. Generally, they were around 6 lbs of british two row, some crystal 20 or 40, fuggles and goldings hops. Funny thing is, I have never found anything close to them in any of the local US British-style Beer pubs, as they typically have heavier pale ales or ESBs like Bass, Fullers, etc., which were always a little chewier, for lack of better description.

Last night I tried Young's Special on tap and it is just a dead ringer for the traditional bitter recipes I have used over the years. Light, good hop balance of bitter/flavor, not too malty, some light ester/fruit character and not so much of the mineral overtones from the Burton on Trent water (or whatever it is).

Really like this beer. Usually I find a commercial brew and try to copy it, but this time I kind of did the reverse and found a commercial beer that reminds me of homebrew :D

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just signed up on here, I'm in the UK and brew ale/bitter brewer.
I have a recipe for Youngs Special if you want it. I was at their brewery only a few months back, water comes from Thames.

Cookie

Latest posts

Back