first dry stout, need hop advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
So I am about to attempt my first dry stout and my first personally designed recipe. I am using Beersmith to help me with my design, but I need some advice on hop advice. My LHBS doesnt have a massive variety, but they have some to choose from.

Cascade
Williamette
Perle
Hallertaur
Saaz

For grains they have:

Chocolate
Carmael
Roast Barley
Black Patent

Any thoughts on hop selection for a dry stout? I am using pale malt liquid extract and thinking about Black Patent.

For hops you would just use a bittering addition, pretty much anything would work - i would use any of those except the cascades if that's all they got, especially the willamette. Though typically you might use EKG.

You didn't ask about grain, but I would add: for a classic dry stout (think Guinness), typically you would only use 2 row, flaked barley and roast barley and not any caramel or crystal.

I am thinking I will try 500g (little over 1lb) of the Roasted Barley for some flavor and 200g of the Black Patent for the color.

So far it looks like this: (for 19L)

500g Roast Barley
200g Black Patent
3852g Liquid Pale Malt Extract
60g Perle (60min boil)

Sorry for the grams, my LHBS sells stuff in grams.

that looks a bit too big n bitter for a dry stout. sounds closer to an american stout. id half the black patent, its some potent stuff. depending on the AA% of the perle, you might want to cut back on that too.

ok, i cut back:

3210g Liquid Pale Malt Extract
500g Roasted Barley
100g Black Patent
50g Perle hops

Brings it down to a 5.1% ABV beer. 1.052 OG

Back