Flanders red - not much complexity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I brewed a Flanders red 15 months ago and am getting ready to bottle it this weekend. It is a ten gal split batch (racked five gal after four months and pitched five more gallons directly on the yeast cake. I took out some from each to blend and do taste tests and while it is good, it is not as complex as I would hope. Mostly it's very tart with some sherry notes. But no stone fruit flavors, oakiness or umami like I like in commercial sours. Any chance off these flavors developing over time or am I pretty much stuck with what I have?

Did you add any oak? You may try oak and even currents if you want a little extra complexity.

^ +1

Flanders Reds are aged in oak casks for many months.

Also, much of the complexity comes from the blending of beers of varying ages. You may not be able to achieve those complexities without brewing another young batch.

You could try blending it with a malty brown ale or add several pounds of cherries.

If you've got the time post the recipe so we can check it out.

Yeah with my Flanders I added a ounce of medium toast oak cubes that were "conditioned" to it to add that awesome oak flavor. I also plan in around another 6-8 month to rack onto some fruit I'm tossing the idea of blackberries around. The beer will tell me what it wants/needs as time goes on.

Back