Sterilized bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhausen

Reaction score
About to brew my first batch in 1-2 weeks, cant wait!!. How important is to sterilize the bottles before you bottle. I have seen some discussion on this but I think some are confused by sterilize and sanatized. I could run them through the dishwasher without any soap or anything or stick them in the oven but how nessesary is it?

Soak em in some oxyclean and make sure they're clean then sanitize with starsan or idophor and bottle. That's how i do it. As long as they're clean and sanitized you'll be fine. I agree sanitize and sterilize get confused. Its not like your trying culture yeast just bottle your home brewed goodness.

I run mine through the dish washer with no soap and hot dry. Let them cool for several hours, then go. Seems much easier than even a quick rinse with 50 bottles. Plus I just cannot stand the idea of a little Starsans in the bottle. #paranoid

EDIT: It is very important to clean and sanitize, but not necessarily sterilize. I use the dish washer for convenience, not to sanitize.

Back