First step of Four

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
Well ladies and gentleman, I just submitted my order for this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D4NM9K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Seemed like a good deal, and shipping was reasonable, does anyone have this same model.

This is my first step of three or four towards going all-grain. Next steps are getting a larger stainless steel pot, turkey fryer unit, and finally a mash/tun build. I was willing to build my own chiller, but after calculating copper costs, a tube bender, tubing, clamps, and time, i figured i might as well drop 15-20 for a nice professional unit. I also found out that the water faucet in my garage is fully functional!!! (53 year old house, never tried it before) So after I buy the turkey fryer I can do brew days out in the garage, which makes the wife super happy. Today has been a good day. :rockin:

by the way, what do you all recommend on brew-pot size? I doubt I will ever do anything over 5 gallons, and i found a SS 30qt on amazon for 60 bucks. Would this be a good size?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I went backwards...I started with a propane burner, then got a bigger kettle. Wort chiller just seems like an added convenience more than a requirement for all grain.

Definitely a good price tho..

I started with making an IC, just finished my keggle, now i need a burner to heat it up then a cooer for a MT and I should be good to go. Cheers!

I guess I went backwards...I started with a propane burner, then got a bigger kettle. Wort chiller just seems like an added convenience more than a requirement for all grain.

Definitely a good price tho..

That is true, I could get the fryer or pot in any order, hell i might get them at the same time, depends on how frisky I'm feeling.

I always wanted a wort chiller, because carrying 3.5 gal of wort across the house and putting into the bathtub full of ice water, then waiting 30-45 min just got old.

That is true, I could get the fryer or pot in any order, hell i might get them at the same time, depends on how frisky I'm feeling.

I always wanted a wort chiller, because carrying 3.5 gal of wort across the house and putting into the bathtub full of ice water, then waiting 30-45 min just got old.

yeh, it gets old quick. I don't even try to cool wort anymore. Once I'm done boiling I dump it into primary, seal it, and come back the next day to pitch.

We picked up a chiller about three weeks ago and have never looked back. While it's not completely necessary by any means, it's safer, cleaner, and way way way way more convenient. You will love it!

just got it today in the mail. Damn that was fast! Great unit. I tested it out today with just water to boil off any machinist oils, and I must say I am impressed. Next step: Turkey fryer with pot.

Back