Maris Otter clarity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber

Reaction score
I used Maris Otter for the first time in an Irish Ale and was wondering about clarity. This is the first batch for a long time that has not cleared all that well. Does it need a protien rest?
10 lb Maris
.5 lb cristal 55
.5 lb victory
.125 lb roasted barly
1 oz EKG for 60min
1 tsp irish moss for last 10min
1 tbsp mash 5.2 during mash
mashed at 154 for 60 min
two batch sparge at 168 actual
Wyeast 1084 irish ale
chilled to 70 in 15min with chiller
Primary 7 days at 68
Secondary 7 days at 68
bottled for 4 weeks now
still cloudy but tastes great.

Any sugguestions? Thanks.:mug:

Marris Otter is a fully modified malt and doesn't need any protein rest.

It should have cleared by now, what was the FG, what water did you use ?

OG was .060 and FG was .014. I used filtered tap city water as usual. This is the first clarity ploblem I've had since some of my first AG batches. I love the taste of MO and want to use it again just wanted to know if clarity is a common issue with MO.

MO is a barley cultivar. More important is who was the maltster? I've used Crisp without any issues with cloudiness and never do a protein rest. I have no experience with your yeast strain which could be the other culprit if it doesn't floculate well.

GT

As GT suggests, there may have been a problem at the maltings although it's unlikely, they have been doing it for years and supply commercial brewers and the type of brewer to use this malt is less likely to tollerate any hazes as the beers are less likely to be filtered. I believe some of the multi nationals aren't worried whether they get a haze as it'll be filtered out, it's cost and yield that are important to them.

The only thing I can think of is might a condition like cask fretts where a small amount of o2 is introduced at racking and along with a small amount of remaining available sugars it can kick a mini fermentation but the yeast aren't able to complete their cycle and sit their stubbornly and don't move. To avoid this it's important to rack at an SG and not a specific time frameand to pitch the correct amount of yeast, this recipe would have required a 2.5L starter.

If this is the case then time is the only cure, especially now it is bottled, it is unlikely though that the haze has anything to do with the malt assuming it was genuine MO suppplied.

Back