First time kegging, here's the plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpaustin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5 gal of hefe in a glass carboy, so here's the plan:
- sterilize the keg (5gal corny), use star-san and rinse it out good
- clean the siphon tube and your hands
- rack the beer to the keg
- seal off keg, hook up co2 bottle
- blow it to 20psi, and then release
- do it again, this should eliminate air
- set it at 30psi, and start shaking, beer temp is in the low 60's
- close it off at 30psi, and put it in the kegerator
- let it sit 24 hours, and then reduce pressure to 12psi (want high carb), and leave it hooked up
- serve in a few days

Right?

There's a series of 4 of these that were really helpful to me when I started kegging. Here's 1 of 4...

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave my kegs at 30psi for 48 hours with NO shaking, then reduce to 10psi. Shaking is a PITA, and has a lot of variability associated (i.e. can easily over carb).

You don't rinse star-san you want the foam to wash over all interior surfaces. Search out don't fear the foam. I set the seal with 30psi vent twice then chill for 12 hours hook-up gas at serving pressure for 2-3 weeks. Yes you can do it faster but the beer is still green(young) it is always better for the wait.:D

I have been taking keg apart after each batch and cleaning and sanitizing all parts. Rack into keg. Put it at about 35 to 40 psi and purge. Put in fridge.etc. on third day set to 5 to 12 psi depending on beer and serve, then make more adjustments if needed Their are lots of ways to do it. This works for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the video link! That was great, I ran hot water through all my lines and faucets, brand new, and cleaned the keg really good, like he showed.

Then I racked the beer, and set it to 28 psi. Shook a few times, and *then* remembered to purge :) So did two purges, and now it's sitting at 28psi for the next 12 hours at least. I probably shook some room air into it, I guess, but it's really dry and I'm at 8,000 feet. Bread dries out and crumbles to dust, before it grows any mold LOL

Beer smelled really good, and FG was 1.010. OG was about 1.041. It's a hefe-weizen, should be good.

Fantastic. Welcome to kegging! You'll wonder why you ever bothered bottling in the first place...

Cheers

Back