Washing yeast that contains zest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHBrew

Reaction score
Fellow brewers,

I have a batch of lemon wheat with fresh lemon zest that's going to be kegged in about a week. Do you think the washed yeast will carry the lemon flavors with it? I didn't want those flavors to carry over because I will most likely be pitching the yeast into a different style?

Any advise or first hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

The residual lemon oils would be too small to notice in you next batch IMO. Plus you are washing them which will futher dilute the oils. And further diluting in a starter.

I think I will go ahead and wash it. If the washed yeast has a lemon aroma I may hold off. Or I can wash it and pitch it into my lemon wheat again.

I've never had a problem with flavors from one beer carrying over to the next. It's so diluted, and in the case of zest, most of the compounds have been used/exhausted. just use it.

Update... I ended up washing the yeast and making a starter for my next batch. Can't really detect any lemon aroma in the starter wort. I think it should be OK. I will be sure to update once the batch is ready.

Latest posts

Back