Adding yeast to get lower FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloke

Reaction score
I usually get a FG around 1.020 and would like to get a bit lower. I think my problem is ti few yeast cells for the gravity of the vort. Would adding yeast in the end of the firmentation get me a lower FG or would ig be just the same?
Cheers!

I usually get a FG around 1.020 and would like to get a bit lower. I think my problem is ti few yeast cells for the gravity of the vort. Would adding yeast in the end of the firmentation get me a lower FG or would ig be just the same?
Cheers!

The yeast multiply before/during fermentation. So there is already more yeast in there than another package would provide.

If you're not getting below 1.020, that makes me think that this is an extract beer because I've had many extract beers that I couldn't get below 1.020.

There are some things you can try- use a different strain of yeast in the beginning, use a different brand of extract, add the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil to keep maillard reactions reduced, and make sure you use enough yeast in the beginning. You can use a yeast pitching calculator to make sure- I like yeastcalc.com.

Ok that was what i was thinking. I'm making allgrain beer. No extractbrewing. I got a a much higher exchange than i usually get. Use to be around 70% but now it was close 100% i think.
-4550g pale ale malt
-520g rye malt
-300g carapils

It gave me 18liter(after 60min boil? 18 liter 1.077

Back