Kona Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docdave

Reaction score
I had a chance to visit the big island of Hawaii and tried Kona Brewing's Koko Brown. I went to visit the brewery there and talked with the guy filling growlers. He was cool (a homebrewer) but when I asked about the hops in this beer, he acted like it was a matter of national security! I left and visited a bar close by. I asked a waitress about these beers and was surprised to hear that only some of the draft beer was brewed here. She told me that most of the "Kona" brewing occurs at a large facility in Portland, OR. An employee from the plant also told me that production is now at 400,000 barrels. I'm glad that they're successful but part of the charm is that the beer is brewed in Hawaii. My only hope is that this larger scale production doesn't go to their heads. Most breweries I visit are gracious to homebrewers! Some of the larger breweries are beginning to forget how craft brewing started and why it came about (think BMC!).

DocDave

It's been happening for a couple of years now....
Too expensive too brew on the island....
Wonder how they get the coconuts to the contracted breweries? I bet that's expensive too.....
Igotsand

I like it. It's all over in the stores here for cheap. Just picked up a sixer of the koko brown for 7 bucks this afternoon.

I spoke with a small Canadian craft brewer and they had a similar national security reaction when I asked about their hops.

I guess we'll all sleep safely tonight!

B

I was fortunate enough to taste the Koko Brown a week before it was released a year ago with the Founder/CEO of Kona. (pictures at crudebrewcrew.com).

Anyways, he was telling me that they have to contract brew with 8 other breweries to keep up with demand in the states.

Certain breweries do have proprietary information about certain beers they are not allowed to release though, & I'm assuming Koko Brown is one of those. I can't find a clone recipe anywhere!

I guess I'm making in fun of craft brewers who appear to be adopting the mentality of the big guys. It's always good to remember where you came from! All fun aside, Koko Brown is a good beer and I wish them well. Just don't forget about us homebrewers that get excited about visiting and talking with commercial brewers. We appreciate their time and insight and we always support their efforts as opposed to the fickle general public.

DocDave

I exchanged email with the brewer at Kona a year or so ago and he was very helpful with replicating the passion fruit wheat - pretty much gave me the recipe. I guess things change...

I have not tried the koko brown yet but I like the rest of their beer.

I exchanged email with the brewer at Kona a year or so ago and he was very helpful with replicating the passion fruit wheat - pretty much gave me the recipe. I guess things change...

I'd love the passion fruit recipe as back living in Hawaii and wanted to do Lilikoi beer and ginger and mango etc etc... Thanks if you can help
I'm drinking a Maui brewing "Bikini Blonde" just now and decided to search "Maui". Bikini is "2008 World Beer Cup Winner...Cellar or unfiltered Beer" quoted from the can!

Back