Im tight on cash..can i use a pot that had food cooked in it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
Im very tight on money these days..I need to make a starter but i do not have a pot dedicated to make only starters at the moment..I have a 2L sauce pan but food has been cooked in it..If i was to go crazy cleaning this thing can i use it to make a starter?

Of course, Be diligent cleaning it and ensure any off flavore, garlic, onions, are gone

I always use a food pot to make my starters. small sauce pan made from stainless steel. just a good wash and brew it up

You betcha. I even used a stock pot I've used to make jambalaya, gumbo, stew, etc in to heat up sparge water when I first got in to partial mash. As was stated earlier, make sure you clean the $h!t outta it though.

You betcha. I even used a stock pot I've used to make jambalaya, gumbo, stew, etc in to heat up sparge water when I first got in to partial mash. As was stated earlier, make sure you clean the $h!t outta it though.

Right on..i made a starter last night from a pot i cooked in and scrubbed the hell out of it with a steel wool and soaked it in oxi clean free and it was looking brand new, no odors..the starter looks and smells perfect today..thanks

If your concerned just fill it with water and boil for about 20 minutes, refill and start your starter. That's usually what I do.

My main brew pot is an aluminum pot I used to make low country boils in cause I'm cheap. Still using it and works like a charm. I also make my starters in the same sauce pan I make my kids mac and cheese in...the kids like a hint of pale dme in it....gotta start training the palette early.

Back