Toated Oat Groats, gnoats, hoats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
I have no idea what these are. Toasted oat gnoats. I have a pound of them. Went to some eccentric food store today that had a rather interesting selection of arcane grains, food bits, fruits, vegetables, and odd smelling potions.

I really wanted some raw spelt, but alas none to be found. It was all flour and I didn't want to fight with the mush. But I did find these things called Toasted Oat Groats. Initially, I thought it was a spelling error. But no, apparently an groat is not just an oat but just a rhyme. There's buckwheat groats too.

So I have come to learn that a groat is a huskless oat. Why a groat, which sounds like some sort of benign bladder tumor found in swine, and not a "husked oat" or maybe a hoat, I don't know. I didn't name the thing.

I am thinking these might be some sort of substitute for Simpson's golden naked oats, or "gnoats". So, can groats work in place of gnoats? What flavor, what percentage of grist, and what kind of cereal mash works if you've tried it? They smell slightly sweet, subtle oaty. They taste, raw, a touch nutty and sweet.

It depends what beer you are brewing, I'd groathead and use it in the mash though, amount depends on the recipe.:mug:

Edit: Use it as you would a gnoat or hoat, straight substitution:)

It depends what beer you are brewing, I'd groathead and use it in the mash though, amount depends on the recipe.:mug:

Edit: Use it as you would a gnoat or hoat, straight substitution:)

Thinking about throwing it in a tripel to give a little body, subtle character, and a bit of toasted color. Probably not more than 2-4% of grist. I don't want to get it oily.

The toasted oat groats are not the same as Simpson's Golden Naked Oats. Using the power of the internet, I have learned that the Simpson product is a malted, crystal, oat of about 10-20L. I tried some of the groats at about 5% grain in some recipes. Didn't notice a whole lot. I don't want it to taste "oaty" though, so noticing would be a problem.

Back