Saison de Noel FG ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmatter14B

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting Saison de Noel (5 gallon, extract) from Northern Brewer. This is my third homebrew. I pitched a 2 liter yeast slurry (wyeast 3711) and it's been fermenting at room temp (72) for 10 days. The OG was approx 1.065 and after 10 days its about 1.008. I don't have any temp control. Northern brewer didn't specify what the FG should be, so I'm wondering if 1.008 is on track??

I will leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle. Is this level of attenuation ok or should I rouse the yeast or pitch more??

Sounds about right to me. That's actually a fairly high gravity beer at a OG of 1.065. You now have a beer that's 7.5% (approx) alcohol. You brewed it in it's recommended temp range but IMHO 72f is on the warm side. It's likely to have a lot of esters (fruity and spice notes like banana and clove) which actually will compliment the style. All the same, let it rest in the primary for a week to ten days after the FG stabilizes. This diacetyl rest will let the yeasts convert the fusel alcohols (known to cause headaches/hangovers) into esters.

3711 is known for bringing the FG pretty low. My guess is that it will drop further. I don't think you'll get banana and clove though... more lemon/apple and some pepper. You definitely won't need to pitch more (this yeast is pretty notorious for eating through anything you throw at it), and it should be done with a 3 week primary. Once it gets down to 1.004 - 1.002 you should be pretty safe...

Mine finished up at 1.008. It was in primary for 5 weeks at 68 and was stable at that gravity for the last 2.5 weeks. Lovely beer, btw. Very unexpected but very tasty.

Back