BeerSmith 2 SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjulian

Reaction score
Here is the Dunkel that was 17 SRM in the program. Recipe is used said should be in the 20-22 SRM range.

dunkel.jpg

Here is a Nut Brown that shows as 12 SRM. I may be incorrect in my judgment but it looks more like 15-17.

brown.jpg

Does the color look right??

my guess is that your malts actually have a darker color than what the software assumes.

Since these are both beers that were meant to be darker in color, I am guessing that you added some chocolate or something to the grain bill? There are many makers of chocolate malts, and they have a VERY wide range of colors.

I currently have some Thomas Fawcett chocolate that comes in at about 525 SRM. My brewing software had an assumption of 350 SRM for chocolate malt. That's a pretty major discrepancy and enough to make 4 SRM difference in a brown ale I attempted to make.

My final product tasted fine, but was black as hell and not a dark brown like I was shooting for.

I kinda thought that but I double checked the grain properties and made sure they matched what the grain I have was rated at. I have seen some posts on the BeerSmith board (along with mine) about this issue. I was hoping to get a second opinion on the color of the beer in my pics to see how close my estimates were.

My colors are off too. Does any one have the hops adjusting themselves to unrealistic amounts?

Back