Fun Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlybirds

Reaction score
I live in a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa called Urbandale. A few years ago I moved here from my tiny home town called Knoxville, Iowa (about 8,000 people.) Today I was talking to one of my friends who still lives in the area who works at a tiny coffee shop located on the towns square. About 10am this morning they received a phone call that his boss answered about a man who would like to meet him and talk about his little coffee shop that he owned.

What he didn't know, was that this man that was wanting to meet with him, ended up being the President of the United States of America, Barrak Obama. (I know, love or hate him, let's keep this non-political.)

They ended up focusing most of the discussion on what he and his administration could do to help him and other small business owners to stay in business. But what surprised me the most, was towards the end of the conversation, Obama himself steered the talk to beer.

They both discussed some of the beers they enjoyed the most (I didn't get any names of the beers Obama enjoyed.) But something I didn't know until now is that the White House, since 1999 has been brewing beer for the Presidents and their administration. He said they make 2 kinds of beer, a light and a dark. Right before The President left, he asked my friends boss if he would like to try one. Of course he said yes and he had the Secret Service bring one in from the motorcade and this is what he received....

2012_8_14_obamabeer.jpg

I was in complete shock when I heard about they've been making their own beer there. As far as I know, he still hasn't decided on whether he will drink the beer or try to sell it on EBay. Once again let's keep this non-political.

That picture comes off the internet, not in Urbandale. I.e., here's a page from Vietnam with the same pic. http://laodong.com.vn/Quoc-te/Tong-thong-My-gioi-thieu-loai-bia-dau-tien-tu-che/52296.bld

I'm not saying the story is bunk, but it would be more interesting with an authentic picture.

Yes, I took the picture off a story printed today. My friend didn't get a picture of the beer so he sent me to this site, which has a picture of the same beer his boss received.
http://chicagoist.com/2012/08/14/wh...e=hovercard&fb_aggregation_id=246965925417366

Also, he's a link to a local radio station that covered it.

http://www.kniakrls.com/2012/08/president-obama-visits-downtown-knoxville/
I do have pictures of the meeting if you would like to see those?

Not to be negative, but how many threads are going to be started about brewing at the white house. This is the third I've seen tonight.

Not to be negative, but how many threads are going to be started about brewing at the white house. This is the third I've seen tonight.

I didn't see any. Sorry if this has been discussed before. It was news to me and I thought I would share.

passedpawn said:
This one is about someone in urbandale being given a beer. Maybe you didn't read the original post?

Sorry, I did read the original post. I didn't mean to sound rude or anything but it's crazy there's been so many in such a little time about pretty much the same thing. Sorry just an observation that might not have been worded right.

They have beer in the motorcade?

In early 2011, the US Dept of Energy developed and implemented an engine that runs on beer. The Obama administration has employed these engines in the Presidential motorcade, but kept it from the general population to continue or dependence on foreign oil and keep the Mid East wars going, which of course, make a lot of money for the military industrial complex and allow the further installment of the New World Order prime directives through a campaign of fear and violence.

Pretty cool indeed. And I agree, I'd get a good close (beer-appreciating) friend over, split the beer with them, and save the bottle. Hate BarryO or not, he's still the POTUS, and he did give you a beer. Ain't no way I'd sell that.

Edit to add: And if you call Knoxville a "tiny town", I hereby invite you to come up to Sac City, population 2,500, and we can take the short drive up to Nemaha, population 85. :)

Look up Moonshine,IL. pop: 2

Mom and Pop burger joint in the middle of nowhere

They both discussed some of the beers they enjoyed the most (I didn't get any names of the beers Obama enjoyed.) But something I didn't know until now is that the White House, since 1999 has been brewing beer for the Presidents and their administration. He said they make 2 kinds of beer, a light and a dark. Right before The President left, he asked my friends boss if he would like to try one. Of course he said yes and he had the Secret Service bring one in from the motorcade and this is what he received....
Just curious about the 1999 date since GW was a recovering alcoholic but I do recall a mention somewhere that president's had beer made for them.

Sorry, I did read the original post. I didn't mean to sound rude or anything but it's crazy there's been so many in such a little time about pretty much the same thing. Sorry just an observation that might not have been worded right.

It does get annoying, BUT it happens all the time on here...Basically anytime something about beer or homebrewing gets written up in the mainstream press, we get a flood of threads.

The funny thing is, usually, we've usually talked about it at least a week or more before the flood of threads...or in this case years....

The first thread on here about it was in the first months after the election...and it resurfaces every 6 months or so, when another news outlet discovers this....

You have to realize that if you're seeing something beer related in the POPULAR press, that more than likely it first appeared in the brewing related press a few days or even weeks earlier, and since we have a lot of hardcore beer geeks on here, many of us subscribe to or tweet with one or more industry related outlets, the same ones that usually sent out the press release that the reporter who you just read about it from, read. And more than likely we've already played the discussion out before it hit the mainstream media.

Revvy said:
It does get annoying, BUT it happens all the time on here...Basically anytime something about beer or homebrewing gets written up in the mainstream press, we get a flood of threads.

The funny thing is, usually, we've usually talked about it at least a week or more before the flood of threads...or in this case years....

The first thread on here about it was in the first months after the election...and it resurfaces every 6 months or so, when another news outlet discovers this....

You have to realize that if you're seeing something beer related in the POPULAR press, that more than likely it first appeared in the brewing related press a few days or even weeks earlier, and since we have a lot of hardcore beer geeks on here, many of us subscribe to or tweet with one or more industry related outlets, the same ones that usually sent out the press release that the reporter who you just read about it from, read. And more than likely we've already played the discussion out before it hit the mainstream media.

Yeah it was just a little annoying seeing so many new threads about the same thing, all of which acting like its brand new information. I probably should've posted my complaint in one of the other threads because at least this one has a connection with someone on HBT, but maybe there needs to be a banner at the top of the page that says: Before posting, YES, we all know they brew beer at the white house!

Back