Northern Brewer is out of centennial!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatorian

Reaction score
I was trying to plan a brew day with a buddy of mine and I wanted to brew some centennial blonde. My question is can the centennial hop flavor be replicated by their "centennial type" hop. I'm excited because this will be my first AG batch. Any words on this would be much appreciated. thanks :mug:

I would try to get them somewhere else.....IF I was that stuck on that recipe. But since I'm not that rigid, i'd use one of the other ten varieties in my freezer. If NB is around the corner from your house, try a different type of hop. Rename your recipe "(insert hop name here) blonde"

Not sure this will help or not, but Clone Brews and Beer Captured say that Cascade will substitute for Centennial. Get your hops from your lhbs.

thanks guys, I might go local, there are actually a couple inside an hour, I just have to find time to get out there. I guess I did get a little narrow-minded, woops :cross: in terms of the recipe, after reading everyone talk about biermuncher's famous centennial blonde, I knew I needed to try it at some point, and why not for the summer. in that case, what else could work well, maybe just a late addition cascade? or how about some citra?

NikoBrew still has 'em in stock. Grab yourself a few pounds to hold you over until the end of the year.

I recently did BM's Centennial Blonde, but switched it up to be a "Cascadian Blonde" and also subbed in some honey malt (10% of total grains), which I guess made it actually a "Cascadian Honey Blonde". Bottom line: it turned out great.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to explore other options. Just don't get too carried away and I'm sure you'll get great beer in the end.

^^^^ What LLBeanJ said too. Don't discount trying other C type hops. Try some of the blends like "Centennial Type", "Zythos", etc. if you can find some Falconers Flight try that too.

But if you've absolutely got to have Cent there are plenty of places that still have it in stock.

Hey, I'm in Baltimore and was planning on brewing that today, too!

(hi5)

Maryland Homebrew's website claims they have Centennial pellets in stock. I guess I'll find out if that's true later today, but the site is usually accurate. They're just over in Columbia, it's not a long drive. Unless you don't have a car?

hey fellow homebrewers, again thanks for the replies. My friend and I ended up going on a little drive down to Annapolis Homebrew and picked up everything we needed. If anyone is in the baltimore/Annapolis/Severna Park area, I highly reccomend this place. It was clean, well laid out, and the proprieters seemed to run a good shop. I have yet to go to the place by Columbia, but I can definitely say I'll be back to Annapolis Homebrew. also they were the only store open until 7 on a saturday.

Back