Reusing and washing yeast question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
I have 8 AG brews under my melt now and they have all came out fairly well... I've wanted to start "reusing" or "recycling" my yeast but I don't totally under stand what that entails. I read the sticky about washing yeast... If I'm correct you take the yeast from your carboy, rack into the larger jar Nd let it settle out, then rack into the 4 smaller jars and then refrigerate... Correct?

I did this just last weekend. It is as simple as that (follow the sticky!). I didn't rack the yeast, I just was careful when I was pouring that I didn't disrupt the stuff on the bottom. It is now in the fridge settled nicely like the sticky pictures. I'm thinking of decanting and freezing next.

You have the basic steps right. You are missing the boiled water which is the washing part. Boil some water the night before and let cool in the fridge in mason jars. Then after you rack your beer off the yeast cake pour in the water. Mix it all up and then go on with your steps. Large jar, let settle, pour suspended yeast into smaller jar, etc.

I've just only started a little while ago so I cant say definitively but I have seen everything from 1-6 Months. Keep your sanitation up and make starters before you pitch your washed yeast. I usually throw the starter on the night before I brew. 18-24 hrs for peak growth.

Back