First brew in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gauthierk

Reaction score
Little to no problems in the boiling. One little boil over but it wasn't much to talk about. My question now is that the area I am able to store the primary in is about 68F. It might get up to 70 later on this week but for now it will be in the 68 range. Is this too cold or will it just prolong the primary fermentation>

Apparently it is a happy brew. It's been about two and a half hours and I actually have bubbling going on in the air lock. Not alot but it is some bubbles. How long do you think I should wait until I place it in the secondary? The instructions in the kit didn't give me a time. Also, the kit didn't come with any irish moss that would be used for clearing up the beer. Will this affect the color outcome or the flavor or will it do it on it's own?

I think most people go about a week in the primary. I don't think the lack of Irish Moss will affect the taste of your beer. Let it sit about 2 weeks in the secondary if you can stand it.:)

Irish moss will reduce mouthfeel & body slightly because it removes proteins, but it doesn't impact flavor. Many ale types don't use it at all.

gmeyers said:
1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary
3 weeks in bottle

... approximately.

primary until it's done fermenting.
secondary until it has cleared up a good bit.
bottle until it's clear and carbonated.

Sweeet, sounds like you're well on your way!

My first brew that I did a month ago was a Nut Brown Ale, what did you do for your first brew?

Imperial Walker said:
... approximately.

primary until it's done fermenting.
secondary until it has cleared up a good bit.
bottle until it's clear and carbonated.

Yeah, right. It's more like:

1 Week in the primary (checking on it about 5 times)
2 Weeks in the Secondary (with at least 2-3 taste tests)
1 week in the bottle (if that long).

It's a challenge keeping it three weeks after bottled. I consider myself disciplined if I only drink 10-12 after Week One.

Back