First reading and tasting of my first home brew dunkleweizen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet07

Reaction score
I am fermenting a Dunkelweizen and took my first reading tonight. My OG 1.044 and my first reading after 9 days is 1.017. There were some tiny bubbles floating on top after opening the lid. I sanitized my wine thief and stole a sample and closed up the bucket again.

I am new to tasting new or green beer. It is flat. Maybe a little dry, not a lot of body. A hint of sweetness. I smell some some scents. Maybe cloves. It is somewhat a different taste then a dunkelweizen that I have had from the bottle or tap that was maybe ready to drink. Maybe seems thin or watery. It taste fine but hope it is better after bottling. Does it get better with carbonation and bottle conditioning?

Yes. Most of the things you mentioned (thin, sweet, etc.) will improve with bottle conditioning. It should improve quite a bit with a few weeks in the bottle.

My dunkelweizen has now been bottled for two weeks. I put one in the fridge for over 24 hours and here are my thoughts.

The carbonation seemed great. It had a little head after the pour not quite as big as I would like to had. Maybe it was the glass issue.

The color was very nice and right on for a dunkelweizen. The aromas was very pleasant with a nice Spice and Clove scent.

The taste was very nice. Great flavor upfront but the finish was a tad watery. However it is not bad and very drinkable for my first.

I was wondering if the light beer caused that watery finish or is it still because it has only been 2 weeks in the bottle? It finished at abv 3.68

silverbullet07 said:
My dunkelweizen has now been bottled for two weeks. I put one in the fridge for over 24 hours and here are my thoughts.

The carbonation seemed great. It had a little head after the pour not quite as big as I would like to had. Maybe it was the glass issue.

The color was very nice and right on for a dunkelweizen. The aromas was very pleasant with a nice Spice and Clove scent.

The taste was very nice. Great flavor upfront but the finish was a tad watery. However it is not bad and very drinkable for my first.

I was wondering if the light beer caused that watery finish or is it still because it has only been 2 weeks in the bottle? It finished at abv 3.68

This is what I figured....success!
2 weeks is still early for that beer and it will get better at 3-4 weeks.
The OG is low, which is why it might be 'watery', its a low OG. What was the OG supposed to be?
Anyways it sounds like it came out good. Next question .what are you brewing next? Any questions well help you out. :)

sweed said:
This is what I figured....success!
2 weeks is still early for that beer and it will get better at 3-4 weeks.
The OG is low, which is why it might be 'watery', its a low OG. What was the OG supposed to be?
Anyways it sounds like it came out good. Next question .what are you brewing next? Any questions well help you out. :)

OG was suppose to have been 1.055 but my partial mash did not extract enough and I ended up with almost a gal to much water after the boil. Which lowered the OG to 1.044.

I have a pumpkin ale that I just bottled tonight. It came out much better and about where it was suppose to be. OG 1.057 FG 1.019. I believe it is going to turn out very nice. I would like to try a stout or porter next.

silverbullet07 said:
OG was suppose to have been 1.055 but my partial mash did not extract enough and I ended up with almost a gal to much water after the boil. Which lowered the OG to 1.044.

I have a pumpkin ale that I just bottled tonight. It came out much better and about where it was suppose to be. OG 1.057 FG 1.019. I believe it is going to turn out very nice. I would like to try a stout or porter next.

Stout/ porter's are great this time of year. I'm more of a stout guy,.so I vote for that! :)

I've got my first stout finisihing up in the fermenter... tasted it over the weekend after a week... og was 1.060 saturday it was 1.016. Tasted pretty good!

Good luck on your next beer! These forums have been awesome!

Thought I would share a picture of my Dunkelweizen. It turned out great.

image-2896765825.jpg

image-1867517967.jpg

Back