Keggle system - doubling it... Element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schalk79

Reaction score
Currently we run a 11gallon electric converted keg system. Our plan is to increase our brewery capacity gradually and taking it commercial slowly.
There aren't any dedicated brewing equipment manufacturers in our country and the craft beer scene is in an infant stage in Cape Town... So we plan to double our 11gallon system by welding another keg onto the current kettle.

Our system runs quite well with a 3kW direct fire element in the bottom. I think we will have to add another element when doubling the system...

Are there any of you running a double keg system?

What element configuration are you using? I am contemplating to add another element at half height...

Thanks in advance for your input

I would think that just replacing with a 5500W element would be the easiest way.... well other than just doing two boils to fill the fermenter ;-)

I would definitely have both elements as low as physically possible.

I agree. It seems like you would get better mixing with the elements as low as possible.

OK. As low as possible it will be then....

At what point will scorching the wort become an issue?
As far as I can gather the higher rating the element the longer it should be to increase the surface area.

I would prefer upscaling the element instead of adding another... Less welding & cutting suits me better :)

Back