wyeast 1272 not flocc'ing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
Made a fat tire clone with 1272 yeast. Its been 10 days, and the yeast is still in suspension. Typically for me, after 7 days the yeast has mostly dropped to the bottom (ale yeasts). I fermented a little high at 70. Checked gravity yesterday and its 1.010. 1272 is supposed to be medium-high flocculation. Why wont these beeyatches drop? Why dont they want to go to their home?

1272 is a classic top-cropping yeast, so the mat of yeast on top of the beer will stay there indefinitely. 1.010 sounds like it is about done. Give it another day or two, then keg it up!

I would wait a little while longer. Even though it's probably done fermenting you should let the yeast clean up after themselves for a little while longer. Just be patient.

I would wait a little while longer. Even though it's probably done fermenting you should let the yeast clean up after themselves for a little while longer. Just be patient.

I agree here. I use 1272 a lot, and I find it does do a fair bit of clean-up in the beer after fermentation appears to be done. On several occasions, I have tasted the beer each day at the end of fermentation, and for about a week after bubbling stopped or nearly stopped there is still some changes (improvements) in the flavor of the beer that take place. My suggestion, leave it sit for a bit longer if you can, and taste it now compared to later to test for yourself.

I just bottled a pale ale that used 1272. It was only a 1.054 OG beer so it sat in primary only for 3 weeks, no secondary. I also noted how cloudy it was even after 3 weeks at bottling day. My 1056 batches have dropped out by then on similar beers. I tried an early sample bottle at 10 days in the bottle and it appeared much clearer and was carbed already, but still a little green. I will try the next one at 2 weeks in the bottle to see where it is. It is funny because the 1272 is supposed to be more flocculant than 1056, but so far I do not get those results. I have a 1.080 IIPA in primary now using 1272 also, so I will see how it does with 4 weeks in primary and a rack to 2 week secondary on a bigger beer. Just as a note, both of these beers were pitched with starters on the large side according to Mr. Malty, and aerated by shaking for 2 min. (I know this is up for debate on other threads).

Back