California Dreamin' Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryhav0c

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the BeerSmith California Dreamin' Lager?

I brewed this on 10-18-12:, (this is my first lager but have brewed over 400gal ale - all grain so am not a newbie), and have built a standard lagering setup with a small freezer with a Ranco controller that will do up to 15gal.

I measured gravity when I suspected it was about 75% and I got 1.016, (started at 1.044, just a little off from the expected 1.047 recommended by recipe), so I increased temp to 62 deg for a diacetyl rest as recommended by Palmer, etc.

I used saflager w-34/70 with a pitch rate of 2.5 packets. I tasted the sample and it showed no signs I could detect of any off flavors. Hell, I'd have carbed and drank it as it was, being accustomed to ale as I am but wanted to continue on with the FIRST lager attempt.

So...after 2.5 days at 62 degrees I checked gravity again and had 1.010. SO...I racked to secondary and put it back in ferm unit and have been slowly lowering the temp at 1deg per hour heading toward 34 degrees to leave at that temp, once reached, for another month in hopes of achieving a master lager in my home brewery.

I'm concerned as to what will happen, other than clearing, to the beer. I'm excited but I think I waited too late to begin the lagering process. Shouldn't I have had a higher gravity when I began racking to secondary? Did I make a newbie mistake?

Hey, I appreciate all input and thanks in advance. Btw, the recipe is located at: http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_120.htm

I didn't follow it exactly but very close except for yeast... Lemme know what ya think

Back