Dry Hop Citra Pale Ale with Citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
I planned on dry hoping the recipe below with an ounce of Citra. Then I started reading that Citra can get pretty overwhelming in a hurry. There was even mention of "cat piss" smell in one colorful description. Anyway, dry hop with Citra, something else, a mix, or nothing?

Thanks.

Citra Blond - Blonde Ale
================================================== ==============================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 6.300 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.3%%
Bitterness: 30.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 6 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================== ==============================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 9.000 lb Yes No 80%% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 12.000 oz Yes No 72%% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 75%% 10 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 74%% 60 L
Vienna Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 78%% 4 L
Vienna Malt Grain 0.000 oz Yes No 78%% 4 L
Total grain: 11.000 lb
Mash at 150 F.

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Magnum 13.5%% 0.350 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 15.0
Citra 12.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 4.7
Citra 12.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 3.5
Citra 12.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 1.9
Citra 12.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Cascade 6.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 2.4
Cascade 6.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 1.7
Cascade 6.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 0.9
Cascade 6.0%% 0.250 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Citra 12.0%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 0.000 s Pellet 0.0

Orange zest from 2 oranges at 10 min.

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

I dropped 3oz of citra in my last IPA. Turned out great lots of aroma. No piss smell.

MoreBeer sells a Citra Pale Ale kit, which uses Citra in the boil, and Citra for dry-hop. I made the kit a few weeks ago but haven't tested the bottle-carbed version yet (needs another week = I like to wait 3wk).

I think there was a total of 2 ounces Citra in the kit? And one of those was dry-hop. So, yeah, you shouldn't have a problem. I do know that it smelled and tasted absolutely phenomenal when it was being bottled.

Nary a hint of cat pee.

Disclaimer: I live with three bad cats so I am both keenly attuned to the smell of cat pee in the outside world, and mercifully oblivious to it in my own house.

I have a Citra IPA that used Citra throughout (dry hopping included) and it is delicious. I even used a rather light malt bill so the Citra really shines. Not any more overwhelming than I had hoped and definitely no piss smell.

Dry hop away, I say! :mug:

Zombie Dust is a single offering beer of citra and dry hopped too. Want to say from boil to dry it is 7 or 8 oz of citra.

And, come to think of it, I believe the MoreBeer kit used Magnum for bittering @60min, just like you're planning. So you're right on track with what the "pros" concocted. :rockin:

I hate to be That Guy, but it really does smell and taste like sweet grapefruit. The Internet (me) says so!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the cat pee smell is associated with simcoe, my other favorite hop besides citra. i just tasted a 100% Brett B citra pale ale that i dry hopped with an oz of citra and it tastes fantastic, i'll be bottling it tomorrow.

i thinkthe cat pee smell is associated with simcoe, my other favorite hop besides citra. i just tasted a 100% Brett B citra pale ale that i dry hopped with an oz of citra and it tastes fantastic, i'll be bottling it tomorrow.
Do you have that clone.... would like to see that.

I've done a grapefruit honey wheat 4 times with 1.5 oz Citra dry hop. 2 grapefruits in mash and zest in boil. Everyone really loves it. Citrus/grapefruit is awesome in beer. NEVER any cat piss.

I brewed a batch of pale ale using citra for flavor and aroma hopping and it did taste like cat pee. Maybe it was because I tried to add the neighbor's cat at mash in.

barneygumble said:
I brewed a batch of pale ale using citra for flavor and aroma hopping and it did taste like cat pee. Maybe it was because I tried to add the neighbor's cat at mash in.

I might try that next time. Nothin goes better with beer than *****.

Back