Candi Syrup Recipe Input (non-Belgian)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I'm curious how folks have experimented with various candi sugar syrups in their pale/amber ales. Most of the recipes I see candi syrup in are Belgians, but I'm curious what others have experimented with. I've made KingBrianI's Caramel Amber Ale twice now and it's still my wife's favorite. I'm trying to put a recipe together for something light (4.5ish ABV) using Maris Otter and Denny's Favorite since I have it in stock, and I thought maybe I'd try adding some of the syrup.

Here's what I'm thinking for a 5 gallon batch:
(OG around 1.043)

5# MO
1# Light Munich
.5# Crystal 10
.5# Crystal 60
1# Light Amber Candi Syrup (270F)

Hop schedule for around 27 IBUs

1.25 oz Willamette @ 60
.75 oz EKG @ 20
.75 oz EKG @ flameout

So what do you folks think? These hops going to play well in something like this? Any opinions on my draft recipe or maybe some experienced input on what hops do well with these syrups?

I have only used candy sugar in Belgians, but using it in oteher styles is approprate. Candy sugars will attribue to a carmelization flavor, sounds like a good idea for this recipe. Hops look good

I've used them in Belgian beers but a thought I have from my experience is that you may want to use less crystal malt since you will get those caramel flavors from the syrup. You might get a more interesting flavor by mashing a little higher for body and go straight MO or MO and a little munich with the caramel malt.

Just something to consider playing with...

I've used them in Belgian beers but a thought I have from my experience is that you may want to use less crystal malt since you will get those caramel flavors from the syrup. You might get a more interesting flavor by mashing a little higher for body and go straight MO or MO and a little munich with the caramel malt.

Just something to consider playing with...

I started with KingBrianI's recipe as a starting point on the grains since I know it came out great the two times I've brewed it. I included about 3 or 4% less crystal than his and replaced some of the crystal 60 w/ 10 to lessen the darker caramel coming from the malt. I could just exclude the CL10, but I figured the candi syrup might thin it out, so I left it in.

The hops are what I've mainly been worried about. Haven't done much with EKG, but I see lots of folks seem to really like 'em. Hopefully they'll work well in this recipe!

I'm hoping to for a chance to brew this Friday.:ban:

Makes sense. The candi syrup will thin it out so if you want the thicker mouthfeel you definitely need crystal malt or a higher mash temp.

I think you'll be happy using EKG.

Back