Help on Slightly Soured Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingWhitetail

Reaction score
Hello, first post and looking for insight on making a slightly soured Belgian wit. I all grain brew and right now it looks like a small sour mash might be the best option so as i can stop the souring at the amount i want. I have never done a soured beer before so am looking for any information on getting a nice refreshing sourness with out going full pucker. Thanks for any help

I think you're on the right track. I'm not a sour fan, but souring the mash and then boiling sounds like it would fit your needs perfectly.

A 24 hour mash may be about right for this, depending on how sour you want the finished beer. Twenty four hours might be just a bit "tart" and not really sour.

Another thing you could do is add lactic acid to the wort/beer if it's not sour enough from the sour mash. That can be done more to taste, and you won't risk overdoing it.

I am curious as to the effects of a partial sour mash for 2 to 3 days vs the full sour mash for 1 day. I was sorta thinking of doing a 40 percent sour mash 2 to 3 days before the brew day.

Back