backsweetening without lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maltodextrine will not sweeten the beer/cider it, will add to the mouth feel though, splenda uses maltodextrine as it's carrier so by adding splenda you will get some maltodextrin. I would use the packets not the baking style, the ratio of sweetness to carrier is much higher in the baking style. I find 30 packets per 5 gallons to be the top amount for my ciders.

People's tastes vary greatly. I would pick up 4-5 artificial sweeteners and run a taste test. Sweeten 8 oz glasses to 1% and 2%. (that's 1/2 teaspoon and 1 teaspoon of sucrose equivalent)

I'm actually working on this very same issue for my wife tonight. I'm bottling my apple-cranberry cider and will backsweeten at bottling time.

What i've done is to take the 3/4 cup priming sugar and it was short about 1-2 tablespoons so on top of that i added 13 packets of a product called "Stevia In The Raw". The ingredients are quite simple: Dextrose, Stevia Extract.

Knowing how SUPER strong stevia is, i'm hoping this does the job. The 13 packets equalled out to about 2T, so if it's undercarbed, BFD. I don't think using 3/4cup of this Stevia In The Raw would be a good idea. Stevia can leave an aftertaste in high doses.

Back