bad carbonator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanpwr

Reaction score
Hello - I just aquired a used Lancer Carbonator for use making Seltzer; the unit appears clean, but the more I put through the system, the more the water coming out the other end turns BLACK. It doesen't appear to be oil or sediment (Nothing floating or settling) just discolored.
I don't suppose this is some common contaminant in an old tank? If you happen to have seen this befor I'd love to know the culprit. Thanks - Webster

More than likely, you are looking at oxides that are dissolving in the carbonated water. I'd flush the system with a scale remover like Beer Line Cleaner.

Thanks - That got alleviated for a bit, but now the problem is back, making me wonder - is this because 2 of my hose connections are brass? I thought it was only copper that reacted with the co2 but maybe not...

my first post..:)

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, and yes, bad things happen to it in the presence of carbonic acid... bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, same problem.... you should only use stainless steel or plastic fittings, but since plastic usually can't handle the pressure on the seltzer side (which is typically 100psi) stainless is really the only option.

Back