So just set and leave at 5 psi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Now that my first two kegs are carbed up the instructions (as well as what i have been reading) say to set the kegs to 5 psi for serving pressure. My question is, can i leave the kegs always set at 5 psi to serve or should i turn the CO2 off and only turn it back on to 5 psi when i am ready to serve?

5 psi is really low for a serving pressure. Most systems seem to pour best (and maintain carb levels) between 10-15 psi. Depends on your system.

And as long as your system is leak-free, there's no reason to shut off the CO2 between servings.

That seems a bit low to me and I don't se any reason to turn the CO2 off. I use picnic taps and set it at 10 psi.

If you leave it at 5psi, your beer is gonna de-carbonate down to whatever 5psi gives for CO2 volumes.

You'll be better off at 10-12psi, and balance the system with approriate length of tap lines.

Back