Broke my first hydrometer :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
So tonight was going along just great. I brewed a peach wheat and got it down to 70 degrees in just under 20 minutes without any type of chiller. I was very pleased with myself. I went downstairs to transfer my second AHS Amber kit that I had pitched on an AHS Amber yeast cake 3 weeks ago to carboy. I got 1.022 as my hydrometer reading. I was surprised and not happy. I took a second reading and got the same thing. No worries though cause I had a Edwort's Apfelwein sitting in primary (carboy) for 6 weeks that I knew had to have finished. I reached into my supplies to pull out the hydrometer that I had just used on the amber, not 5 minutes before, and lo and behold...I pulled out the stem with paper hanging out of it. At first I was confused. What was this?! I actually didn't realize at first what had happened. Then it started to sink in. I became very sad. Then I was annoyed with myself. Thank God I recently found a place that sells HB supplies 15 miles away. Otherwise I would have had to drive 160 miles roundtrip tomorrow to pick up a $5 piece of equipment. Anyway, I just dumped my K-sorb into the apfelwein and placed it onto a surface more suitable for transfer to keg.

Maybe it was a sign. If I remember correctly, the K-sorb should be in there for at least a day before I transfer. It'll certainly need a day to settle after I moved it.

:tank:

I break at least two of them a year, no worries! Just always have an extra on one hand!

I didn't break my first one, but it turned out to have a pinhole in the top that let water in when I was sanitizing it. Of course, that added weight and totally messed up the reading. I trashed it and got another one. I did break my first thermometer, though. I had one of the glass floating thermometers and it broke in my brewpot and I had all those little beads in my wort. I switched to a steel dial thermometer after that.

Back